1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Transmission Identification

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member
luisimartins is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Identification

I am trying to know the part identification (or number) for the manual transmission of my Blazer S10 4WD 1992. Even though I have tried by the VIN in some Internet sites, I have found nothing at all as my SUV was manufactured out of USA. Somebody knows how can I find that information?

Last edited by luisimartins; 12-28-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by luisimartins
as my SUV was manufactured out of USA.

Willing to bet it was produced in new jersey like most of the rest of the export spec s-series.

Look at the 11th digit of your VIN number
Assembly plant
K - linden, nj
0 - pontiac, mi (suv only)
2 - moraine, oh
8 - shreveport, la

Just to bring the hijack back on track here is my page on VIN decoding

s-series VIN info

Sorry can't help ya trans ID

Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you.

Your page is pretty good, but my Blazer´s VIN is kind of weird when compared with the nomenclature shown.

Just look at this: VIN TC1T6ZNV355519

Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Beginning Member

I was also trying to find the right TORSION BAR ADJUST ARM and I am not sure what the production option I have in my S10: FF4 or FK2. Does anyone know how I can identify the right production option? Every clue will be welcome...

Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

I believe your RPO codes would better help to I.D. the type of tranny you have (if it's stock and you cannot locate the identification number on the transmission itself)?

Last edited by rockp2; 12-30-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: edit text
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Beginning Member

Sure, RPO Codes should have helped, but in the models produced in this country we have no RPO Codes sticker in the gloves compartment.

After rockp2's publication, I verified in the gloves compartment, but I found no sticker. I must confess, after that, I started to be skeptical about my S-10 origins. I opted to verify a friends S-10, with the same specifications, but 1994, and I found the same result.

So, It seems to be normal here and I should look for a local parts seller to see what specification is used locally. Probably, all models produced here use the same RPO Codes, even though we are not able to see them in the usual information sticker.

However, thank you! Because without your help, it wasn't easy for me to realize this particular situation.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Can you give us some more information about your truck? Does the current transmission have any identification tags on it that you could take a picture of and post? Could you take a picture of your VIN tag and post it? Can you find any tags/stickers on your torsion bars and if so, can you post pictures of them?

As far as the torsion keys go, without knowing exactly what your vehicle came with, it is quite difficult to know which of the two keys offered is appropriate. The difference between the keys is likely in the clocking of them. One could provide more lift than the other, but could be more difficult to install.

Pictures of anything that I have posted will help to answer the questions you have asked.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Below is a couple of links for you to take a look at. Compare the pic on the GM parts east image with your transmission. Other things to google are: NV1500, NV3500, Getrag 290.

Also, you may have an RPO code sticker on the firewall behind the engine in the engine compartment. Mine doesn't list all the RPO codes the sticker in the glove compartment has...but it still might be helpful. If you can find some RPO codes, look for "MG5" or "MY2".

Of course, identification numbers stamped to the transmission or on a metal tag swartllk stated would be the best help

I do feel your pain though...I went through the same issue with my manual trans. No I.D. numbers and it didn't look like any of the pictures in my TSM. But I posted a pic of the transmission on here and someone found a parts website that had the same features. I learned that my style of transmission was produced by several manufacturers...so there were differences in the exterior appearance based off of who produced the specific transmission.

1992 Chevy S10 Blazer 4WD - TX04085301 5-Speed Manual Transmission

http://www.mycertifiedservice.com/_r...tification.pdf

Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

If it doesn't have a GM VIN and by the looks of that VIN it might be a rebuilt VIN if so its worthless on anything but telling ya what year the truck is by your country's DMV.

To find any useful info you gonna have to crawl under it and get parts numbers. Even if you find factory options if its rebuilt those could have been swapped to something different.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Beginning Member

First of all, Happy New Year for everyone and I'm sorry for not posting before.

I'll try to verify all your suggestions. Thank everyone!

Unfortunately, I have started a busy year at work and the nearer garage has not open yet, so I´ve been not able to lift my S10 to take a fast look. For sure, the garage will open next week and I hope to be posting images and data then.

Quick Reply: Transmission Identification