1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Trouble Starting when hott

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
tbcfreerider is on a distinguished road

Thanks again everyone! One last rookie question... I used to know the answer but forgot... my engine code: W or Z?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Z == TBI - round air cleaner on the top of the engine
W == CPI - air box located on the driver front inner wheel well.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Beginning Member
btb1003 is on a distinguished road

I just performed all of this on my 93 "W". New fuel injector, feeder lines and intake gaskets. There are 12 bolts for the intake manifold. Make sure you use the updated Fel Pro gasket for this application (PN MS95832) and it will save you a little aggrevation. This PN also includes the distributor gasket and sealer. Make sure to mark the rotor and distributor for reinstallation or you will have a headache.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Beginning Member

So I started my project today and think I'm in a world of hurt.

1. I took off the plenum with no issues what so ever.... to my surprise there is oil all over the inside?!?!?! here are some pics... remind you i just completely replaced my spider and everything like 4 months ago... new gasket and all.It was clean enough to eat from. is the oil normal? if not how do i fix this problem?

2. taking off the lower intake, I think I may have dropped a bolt into a intake...I forgot to plug them up. Am I screwed?Also the bolts from inside the plenum were soaked with oil as well.

3. I cant get the lower intake off... I believe I got all 12 bolts... but it wont budge.Also when I undo the main hose to the radiator will it dump all the coolant?

Attached Thumbnails Trouble Starting when hott-2011-08-03-11.56.28.jpg   Trouble Starting when hott-2011-08-03-11.56.42.jpg   Trouble Starting when hott-2011-08-03-11.56.56.jpg   Trouble Starting when hott-2011-08-03-11.57.06.jpg   Trouble Starting when hott-2011-08-03-12.00.25.jpg  

Old 08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you replace the 'nut kit' (internal fuel lines) when you did everything else? Have you checked to see if the fuel pressure is bleeding down? The driver side of the plenum looks cleaner than the passenger side.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Beginning Member

no didnt replace the nut kit.. it was holding at 16 psi

Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Administrator

A mistake many make. Those lines don't like to be reused. The pressure should remain above 50psi for 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Pressurize the system and you will likely see the leak where the nylon line hooks to the fittings where it goes into the spider body.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member

ok so while im at this all I will do the nut kit... I got the intake off... if I dropped a bolt in the intake I should see it when i took it off right? now I'm not sure how I clean this all up. Do I have to worry about **** falling down into the main "area"?

Attached Thumbnails Trouble Starting when hott-2011-08-03-13.42.06.jpg   Trouble Starting when hott-2011-08-03-13.42.13.jpg  
Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator

I would layer some shop towels down in the lifter valley and stuff rags into the ports in the head to keep the debris out while you clean up the gasket surfaces. Then suck all the junk up with a shop vac, including the rags.

Depending on the size of the bolt you dropped, it could have gotten stuck in the intake runner of the lower intake manifold.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Beginning Member

thats what i did... so all bolts are accounted for... did the new seals ect bolting the intake back down... now my next problem... I had to remove the distributor and now with the new seal i cant get it to drop back down into place... i get about a 1/4 gap.

Quick Reply: Trouble Starting when hott