1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

upper control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Beginning Member
tbones1176 is on a distinguished road
Default upper control arm bushings

I have a 1994 gmc s15jimmy 4x4 does any one know the steps in replacing the upper control arm bushings and do they have to be pressed in and out?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

The Chilton book says to "use a suitable bushing service set" to both remove them and install them. Need to check my factory manual to see what it says. Probably the same thing since Chilton is pretty good at plagerizing the factory books. I need to do this to my 94 4X4 Blazer pretty soon too.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

im pretty sure they have to be pressed in and out. i'd check just for kicks how much a new control arm with bushing in it is.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member
Sway_89S10 is on a distinguished road

I could tell you how I did my upper control arm bushings in my '89 S10, but it's kind of the redneck ingenuity way of doing it, it required an impact driver, a chisel, a large socket, and a table vice.
Let me know if you'd like me to further explain, but it is a little tricky and you do have to be careful not to destroy the control arm. I did it this way because I had no other choice.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

You can buy an upper control arm from LMC Truck for the cheap price of $299.95 and the lower arm for only $269.95. That's each. I've already checked into it. The bushings are a real deal. Less than $10.00 each and a cam bolt kit is about $15.00 each. Don't know how much locally. I would get a big "C" clamp and try that although I do have access to a press. The factory service manual has a special tool set (of course) but the stuff looks pretty easy to make. I think a "C" clamp and some big sockets would work just fine (probably the redneck way).

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 01-29-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added decimel
Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I bought a 4WD balljoint service kit for about 80 bucks at Princess Auto and I betcha it would work wonders at pressing those out! It also works great on press in balljoints. Its a large C clamp style and has a kit and many different cup sizes to put on it, its super heavy duty. You may want to order one from princess auto and give it a whirl. All you would need is a vice to hold it in.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ohsofly
I bought a 4WD balljoint service kit for about 80 bucks at Princess Auto...............You may want to order one from princess auto and give it a whirl.

probably one of the best tools they make, and a great price on that kit. i've only ever seen it that cheap once before-when i bought mine for $73. but that was like 12....13 years ago.

and you know Princess Auto is only in Canada, right?

i know this guy doesn't post his location info (still can't figure out why people don't.......), but a majority of the members are from South of us.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

well if your from the states the equivalent would be autozone, advance auto, oreilys, napa, alot offer loaners sets also, so i'd check there to see if they have something to press the bushings out.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
well if your from the states the equivalent would be autozone, advance auto, oreilys, napa, alot offer loaners sets also, so i'd check there to see if they have something to press the bushings out.
actually........no, they're not.

Princess Auto is more like a TSC (Tractor Supply Company), they're geared towards the agriculture & farm industry. they also sell automotive tools (hey, a tractor & a car really aren't that different in theory), but they don't sell replacement parts for your ride.

but you're right, Autozone, etc, would have something to do it with.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You could order from Prin Auto and have them ship it anywhere you like though. Other good deals I got this week

NOID light set for EFI - $19.99
EFI fuel pressure tester - 39.99
1/2 drive tourque wrench - 39.99
axle nut sockets 32MM-36MM (3/4drive) - 3.99 each

Quick Reply: upper control arm bushings