1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Vehicle Emission Control Information Label

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Robert.Lude is on a distinguished road
Default Vehicle Emission Control Information Label

Hi all; i've done a ton of work on my 84 S-10 Blazer, 2.8 V6 4x4 (complete overhaul of the front suspension, brakes, and drive axles), and am now trying to get it through emissions testing. I've gone through all of the smog components and repaired/replaced as necessary, including the cat. But the VECI label is illegible, and i was hoping someone could point me to a resource for getting a replacement. Or, if someone has a picture of theirs, that would at least help me get the engine set up right. From the old label i am able to make out "High Altitude", and that concurs with the vacuum routing label (code XRD), and 700 and 850 (which i believe are the idle speed settings for choke on/off, or AC on/off (the vehicle does have AC). The engine doesn't use oil or blow smoke. I had it tested and it failed the Idle RPM check (i didn't know the idle speed was that critical?). At any rate, all of the maintenance manuals i've found don't provide idle speed information, and refer back to the label... which i don't have :-( Thanks in advance for any information.

More info; the part number on the VECI label is 14078028 (not sure if the information is P/N specific), and the idle speed numbers are 700(DR) and 850(DR). There is another engine speed number shown; 2100 (P) or (N), so i am assuming the other DR means "drive". For all the speed numbers shown, i can't make out what the configuration is; i.e., AC on/off, Choke on/off, etc. Since i do at least have the numbers, if someone could forward the configurations associated with them that would be a huge help.

Last edited by rriddle3; 09-28-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS. PLEASE USE THE 'EDIT' BUTTON THE ADD TO A POST IF NOBODY HAS REPLIED WITHIN 24 HOURS.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

2100RPM is the fast idle RPM. This is adjusted by first warming up the engine. Then disconnecting and plugging the vacuum lines to/from the carb. Next, allow the engine to run at >1500RPM for 10 seconds before adjusting the fast idle screw to 2100RPM.

Hot idle is adjusted with the engine up to full operating temperature with the choke all the way open. Disconnect the EGR vacuum line and the evap canister lines and plug any lines leaking manifold vacuum. Disconnect the idle stop solenoid if equiped. Set idle speed to 700RPM using the main idle speed screw. Then reconnect the lines and electrical connectors previously disconnected. Now disconnect the A/C compressor clutch electrical connection and turn the A/C on inside the truck. Open the throttle slightly to allow the solenoid to extend and adjust the curb idle to 850RPM by turning the screw in the back of the solenoid.

*Moving to 1st Gen Tech* - Technical questions are not appropriate for the General Chat section.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Robert.Lude is on a distinguished road

Thanks swartlkk, i'll give that a go! I've decided to pull the carb off and put a rebuild kit in it. It has a stumble on acceleration right now, and i wonder too if the float level is set correctly anyway. Don't know if the carbs ever been touched, or if it was done right if it was. I've checked and replaced any/all vacuum lines and motors, EGR valve and a litany of other smog stuff. Also going with a new pump. Thanks again for the info!