1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

what is it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 AM
just plain lucky is on a distinguished road
Default what is it???

Hey folks I have a issue which I am looking for some help with heres the details 1993 'GMC' Jimmy 4.3 New tune up wires cap and rotor new oil change new cat new stickers for registration and running fine then all of a sudden it starts to bog down and sputter and pop when I slow down and actually died on me a couple times. I replaced the fuel filter and started up normal then I started to drive around the block and the sputtering and popping started again and it died and I couldn't get it started again. Had a friend drop me off at work and when I got home I went to the place it died on me and it started. I made it to the hill I live down Thank God but the eighty to ninety feet to the hill my car argued all the way sputtering and popping. When I pulled up to my house it idled perfectly I let it run for a while, turned it off and started right up again on first try. I did the tune up and cat to pass smog and it did. Ive got the one with the spider inside Normally runs really great Any help greatly appreciated

Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Kinda sounds like fule pump I would get a pressure test done on it. It could also be your spider assembly. I would start with the pressure test.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your fuel pressure test comes back fine, check the wiring harness to the injector. It has caused a lot of frustration for a lot of CPI owners in the past!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:00 AM

checked the wiring harness and low and behold the blue and red wire when the engine is on and these wires are wiggled a little the engine will quit Then If I turn the key it will start again?? So there is a problem but I am not sure if it is the main problem. Today also I replaced the cap and rotor again just incase and it still did the same thing idles great but increase the gas and all hell breaks lose ?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 PM

ok now I may have not done the right thing but I added sea foam to the intake top dead center got it started and some smoke came out but no avail, friend came over and showed me the release valve for the fuel pump depressed the nipple and it didn't squirt out the way his did hes got a 95 jimmy and after he released the pressure the fuel pump stoped comming on So he replaced my fuel pump and still wouldn't run for sh*& or start and hold idle. Hes going to bring his code diagnostic puller tomarrow and see if it can give us some information... I believe the next step would be to pull plenum and see how she looks?? Any helpful advise Swartlkk?? or anybody help!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I hope u didnt put in a airtex pump..if so,you'll be back in it.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Testing the fuel pressure with a gauge will tell if you have a leak in the spider injection and if you got a weak pump

Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 AM

question if I can't get it running what good will a fuel pressure tester do?? I got one and followed the instuctions and with out starting it pumped the gage up to 13psi and after ten minutes or so it went to 12psi. Didn't have a whole lot of time to mess with it but it must be started to check the psi right ?? Its a battle to start it too starting fluid feathering the clutch all this and have the pressure tester hooked up as well?? I guess if that is what it takes ya, but still I can see no resolve till I pull the plenum off and check out the spider I luckly have a friend in a junk yard who has a spider waiting for me for 75 bucks now is that a hell of a deal or what?? and this sea foam stuff whew wee I think I would like to take my time with it and pull all the plugs pull up the plenum replace the spider put her all back together and see how she runs??? Damn I want my truck back its really pissing me off... Again Folks thanks for all the support any and all advise will be listened to an applied to getting my car back on the road sh%# I have stickers good for the whole year passed smog and everything Later

Old 08-23-2011, 12:39 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

13 psi is way to low the truck needs at least 55 to 60 psi for it to run doing the pressure test is a way not to guess and spend money but its up to you if you wanna follow what we say and no it must not be started to check the pressure

Key on should be at least 60 to 55 psi
after 10 mins it should be no lower then 52 psi

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 08-23-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 AM

wow would the air tex pump be the damn culpirate arrrrgh must be got to get a better one Ok thanks sooooooo much for the quick response will replace the cheap pump with more expensive one... that should do it right ??? Damn wish the auto zone dude would have given me the right one my bad

Sorry chris you were right big time

Another fun day ahead hahahah thanks guys I will get one tomarow and switch them out and post the pressure then sh(^ truck should be running by then hahahh I see a lot of smoke comming up in my near future hahahhahha later ya all have a good night Thanks again !!!

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-27-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.