1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

what is this part (under the hood with pic)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road
Default what is this part (under the hood with pic)?

I'm pretty sure it being cracked and wiring exposed inside is not good. What is this part called and what is it for? This is on my 93 S10 Blazer w/ 4.3 Vortec, engine compartment, driver side.

Last edited by rastoma; 09-30-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a relay. Is that located on your firewall?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Starting Member

Yes, on the firewall, top right side of the engine compartment.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

I agree with swartlkk, defiantly look like relays. btw 4.6 Vortec? don't you mean 4.3?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely a relay then. I believe the one on the left is the fuel pump relay while the one on the right is the A/C relay.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

As long as everything is still working, just slap some duct tape on it and call it good.

That is...unless you have a show engine...lol

Old 09-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Starting Member

Yes it's 4.3.. I corrected that earlier

There's no check engine light but the engine doesn't run 'great'. Runs rough when it's cold, runs almost perfect after it's warmed up, and I check codes and it never shows anything but 12. When I first got the truck a couple of weeks ago it ran bad. The plugs, cap, rotor button and wires were are all factory and very corroded from use. Even then I never got a code other than 12.

The a/c compressor engages (clicks on and off every couple of seconds) but I figured that it was low on refrigerant or had a leak.

If that second relay is for the a/c could it be damaged and is the reason the a/c isn't staying engaged? Or would only low refrigerant cause that?

Last edited by rastoma; 09-30-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Pretty normal for the comp to make those sounds. I would just unplug that relay and see if that causes the A/C to stop working.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Pretty normal for the comp to make those sounds. I would just unplug that relay and see if that causes the A/C to stop working.
Yes I know it's normal when the compressor is low to click on and off and second or so.

I'll unplug the relay tomorrow and see what happens and let you know.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Beginning Member
1blazer99 is on a distinguished road

belive the one on your right is the fuel pump relay had to change them out before,try to unplug it and start your motor. it wont start

Last edited by 1blazer99; 09-30-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: caught my error

Quick Reply: what is this part (under the hood with pic)?