1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

What sensor is this??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 PM
jaystoy is on a distinguished road
Default What sensor is this??

94 S10 Blazer vin W. This is driverside bank, sensore between 3rd and 5th spark plug. What is this and what does it do? For coolant? Because there is a sensor on the other side as well. Please help

Attached Thumbnails What sensor is this??-100_9778.jpg   What sensor is this??-100_9779.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 04:43 PM
mychevyisntheavy is on a distinguished road
Default that sensor

that sensor is the knock sensor, tell the pcm if any pre ingtion is going on. it retards the timing

Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM

Ah! Thank you. So I thought there were two different sensors for coolant? One for ecm and one for guage? I see one sensor near water inlet on intake. And where would other be?

Last edited by jaystoy; 06-19-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

its on the driverside basically where that pic is showing it but that doesnt look like the end i may be mistaken. yes the one is on the intake by the thermostat housing and the other one should be on the driverside head somewhere. i know on the 95+ models thats where they are at and the crank sensor is at the front bottom of the engine. i own a 93 but never messed with it. heck chevys been putting on the driverside head forever

Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On the older trucks I believe that the coolant temp sending unit for the gauge is located in the passenger side head. The ECU engine coolant temp sensor is located near the thermostat (which is the outlet to the radiator ). What the pictures show is definitely the knock sensor.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
On the older trucks I believe that the coolant temp sending unit for the gauge is located in the passenger side head. The ECU engine coolant temp sensor is located near the thermostat (which is the outlet to the radiator ). What the pictures show is definitely the knock sensor.
good to know. i wasnt 100% sure in my post. i know they are on the driverside on a 98 i had cause i changed one before

Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM

When I search on Rock auto or on autozone they only show one coolant sensor. Anyone have a part number for the one on the passenger side as you say? Thanks

Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Beginning Member
slimshany6 is on a distinguished road

it's not called a temp control sensor it is the (temperature switch) Just replaced mine in a 92 kept reading half way hot when I would start it then give me the false impression it was overheating. But yeah the one on the PASSANGER side id called a temperature switch.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should be called a temp switch if your dash didn't come with a temperature gauge and a temp sending unit if it did, but who knows with parts stores these days.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Great, thanks for the info. I have the guage and last couple days and these are some hot Connecticut days, the guage has only been showing a reading steady at say 150 degrees f whe normally it stays at or below 210. Still seems to run the same, infact run good. Antifreeze nice and clean, oil and and clean.....separate as well. Thinking either bad sending unit or thermostat. Here is a pic of passenger side, does this look more accurate? Was not sure if a bad sensor would pop code, but no codes at all stored or flashing.

Attached Thumbnails What sensor is this??-100_9781.jpg   What sensor is this??-100_9783.jpg  

Quick Reply: What sensor is this??