1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

What trouble-shooting tools are needed for:

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road
Default What trouble-shooting tools are needed for:

Hey all. I need help in knowing what hand-held scanner(s) I should have to do my own diagnosis on my '92 4.3 ltr. S-10 Blazer ?

I would like a scanner that is good enough to diagnose MOST basic to intermediate level problems without having to take it into a shop in other words, as I prefer doing my own work when ever possible!

Should I have any other electronic tools or will 1 scanner do it all? I also would like to know what brands are the better, but not super expensive brand names, as I don't want to spend more than $200. MAX. if that is possible? I've seen several scanners for around a $100 bucks, are they any good?

You all tell me, as I only know how to fix carb'd. vehicles, so I need a good all-around tool or two that won't have me taking out a small loan...but is good enough to keep me from having to take the code (?) numbers into a dealer 'cause the scanner is too vague to tell me EXACTLY what the problem is--LOL!--And lets face it most dealer's labor rates are a rip-- off, right?

Last edited by BlazeringSaddles; 11-28-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For the OBD1 vehicles (such as your '92), a factory manuals (service, overhaul, and wiring manuals), a multimeter, and a paper clip will handle the VAST majority of issues. The paper clip is all you need to pull general engine codes.

Get into the ABS or airbag systems (if equipped) and you are going to spend quite a bit of money for tools that can read those systems.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
For the OBD1 vehicles (such as your '92), a factory manuals (service, overhaul, and wiring manuals), a multimeter, and a paper clip will handle the VAST majority of issues. The paper clip is all you need to pull general engine codes.

Get into the ABS or airbag systems (if equipped) and you are going to spend quite a bit of money for tools that can read those systems.
Thanks, have the multi, but what is a "paper clip" is that slang for a certain tool/meter? Or literally just a plain ole' paper clip? If so, what, how, and where do you put the paper clip, ( and be polite--LOL!). Is there a on board computer that gives you a read-out if you stick a clip into it you mean? You can tell I haven't bought the manual yet-haha!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out TroubleCodes.net.

As far as the manual goes, shop on eBay. You should be able to snag all three of the manuals I referenced for under $100. You will not be disappointed if you choose to go with the factory manuals. They are VERY detailed!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:54 PM

THANKS Swartlkk! I bought a few manuals for my Dodges on Ebay, for pennies on the dollar, amazing isn't it!? Temporarily had a 'brain fart' and forgot to go there first! Plus I won't be able to start work on my Blazer for a couple more months as a recent back injury pushed all mywork-loads back several months! GRRR!!!
Thanks for reminding me before I went out to a 'Auto Zoned out' kinda store and paid $20.+ for one instead of $3. to $5. bucks for the same ones in very good to almost new shape on Ebay, or Amazon.com (used book dealers there)...

Amazon is another good source under their used book dealers if anyone is interested. I guess they still do that on Amazon, as they did last year when I checked out their used books/dealers there!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:21 PM

Just checked out the troublecodes.net. Thanks AGAIN Swartlkk, as I went to an article entitled "OBDII ...simply explained". And like most mechanics, once something is simply explained, the operative word here being SIMPLY, (since I am a shade tree mechanic 'from the days of yore'), I can understand it.

NOW I realize why alot of the younger mechancics seem to be button pushers to me. You could literally be an 8 year old child with a basic "point and click" knowledge, {A.K.A. "button pushers"}, and you could fix most vehicle problems it sounds like! Not that I'm degrading the new generation's technical savvy, as I also was a "glorified button-pusher, {i.e; coumputer programming student} in the early '80's. Can you say BORING Boys and Girls ----LMFAO--- Ahh, but that is the 'Wave of the Future they told us then, and man oh man were they ever RIGHT-ON!!!

I HIGHLY recommend anyone who is trying ot understand this article go to troublecodes.net, and go to the "newsest articles" box on the right hand side of their home page, and click on "OBDII...simply explained".

Old 11-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Yours will be OBD1 though. Even more simple!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Yeah, the OBD-I looks very easy. I just wanted to read-up on the OBD-II's for when I get one someday like all you rich folks have with the newer rigs that have that stuff! I think the article said '96 on up have them huh? I like the body tyles on those '95/'96 on up ones though seriously. Those rounded fender corners are very stylish (imo).

But like the 1st gen. ones too as they're squared-off without looking dorky, probably cause they're so short. 14',2" I think it said on Wikipedia for 2-doors. That means they're turning radius is EXCELLENT for careening around all those 'switchbacks' and other assorted "goat trails" -LMAO!!!--- No wonder I was thinking I can't get all my gear into the back of them.--LOL! Oh well, that's what trailers, and roof-top carriers are for right? And that 4.3 ltr. should haul plenty torque-wise!

I'll gladly do without the extra length to get a tighter turning radius any day! Those U.S. Forest Service Suburbans we used were a nightmare on old logging/ USFS roads. I love their strength and roominess, but they ain't much kitten out on skid trails/logging roads.--LMAO-- Had to back those monsters down many-a- mile of dirt road w./ 1,000' vertical drops w./ NO guard rails for protection. And when you've got NOOOOooo cell phone ( over 20 years ago), and NOooo CB radio in most of the rigs, you start to almost chit your pants when one wheel starts hanging off the edge of the road when you "think" you can do a 12 point turn on a 8' to 10' wide road w./ a 19' rig If it happened these days I'd probably ask myself..."what would Sarah Palin do"...But I digress