1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Kinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wiring problem

OK now im comfused!

a friend of mine decided to wire the horn to the front left turn signal of his friend's 1992 4 door 4.3 vortec blazer..

all was fine for a day, then something happened...

turn signals and brakelights stopped working..

so i went and replaced all the fuses and changed the horn and **** back to normal. now everything works fine..

Here is the wierd part, Now ALL the Hazard lights work fine, including the rear lights...

but when you put the turn signal to the left or the right they dont work![:@] and when you put your foot on the brakes only the 3rd brakelight will light up.. the parking lights work fine in the front but in the back 1 parking light is blown out.. ( not that would have anything to do with it) but im confused now... doesnt anyone know what to do?
thanks alot! if you cant get me on here then email me at Kinger124@gmail.com

Old 11-29-2005, 10:25 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: wiring problem

You might have a short. check all the wires for cuts and burnt. The problem was from the rigged you did with the horn so start there and work back.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As a way of notifying you of burnt out signal lights, GM and many other auto manufacturers have put resistance based flashers for the turn signals. These are tuned to the resistance of the bulbs used. If one bulb is blown, then the resistance will be lower and the lights will not flash. I'd look at the rear light housings. Look for condensation inside the housing. I know that I just had to drill small holes in the bottom of my taillight housings on my Bravada not too long after I purchased it because of condensation. This caused a plug to corrode and short out. It actually corroded out the ground and then the bulb was grounding through the wiring on the low side (marker light wiring) and it would blink alternate of the front lights. Luckily, the connectors can be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled quite easily. I'll see if I can't snap some pictures of my lights for you this weekend.

A good idea if you do end up taking them apart is to put some dielectric grease in the bulb socket before you put the bulb in. This will keep the contacts in perfect condition for the life of the bulb.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:34 AM

ok... well this problem only came about once my friend messed with his lights, they were fine until he wired the horn to the turn signal bulb wires..

could it have anything to do with a flasher? could a flasher be blown?

Problems are:
Brake lights dont work, only the 3rd brake light works
Turn signals dont work..

But Hazard Lights work

Old 11-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, its acouple of screws to pull off the rear housings and check things out. It is possible that it still is a wiring short somewhere, but I don't believe that the brake lights have wiring up near the horns.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 PM

well i really dont want to pull the taillights when chances are if there was a short its up near where the horn was, i dont see why it would short all the way back at the taillights when what was messed with was the horn

Old 11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Hey, you asked for help. It might be something completely unrelated to the horn thing.

For the simple 5 minutes it would take to check... Whatever. Its your truck, your time, blah blah blah.

A blown flasher would not affect the brake lights.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your trying to confuse two different things, and yes they all run through your light switch. So the circuits are related. Adding the resistance of the horn could be enough to blow out the taillight bulbs. The fact that the 3rd brake light works indicates that the braking circuit is fine. Your rear tailights need to be looked at, and ten to one BOTH bulbs need to be replaced. GM uses a dual function bulb. In the back one element is for the brake light, while the other element is for the blinker. Both elements are contained in the same bulb, and the ONLY way to verify they are not blow is to LOOK AT THEM.

Now the front is a seperate issue and needs to be addressed as such. Since he messed with the wiring I would start there, right after I looked at each bulb to make sure it also wasn't burnt out.

NOBODY ON HERE IS GOING TO DO IT FOR YOU, or YOUR FRIEND in this case!!!!!!

All we can do is recommend what to LOOK FOR based on your question, YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO DO THE LOOKING. Copping an attidute won't help at all.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Smokeybear is an unknown quantity at this point

Kill your friend. But tell him to fix it first.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:01 PM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you changed the flasher fuse. If it over heated then it may be froze up. I did it once when i was screwing around and ran my high beams off each signal.