1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Wonder about best way to press out front drive shaft u-joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Wonder about best way to press out front drive shaft u-joints

My u-joints are shot on my front shaft and I am not quite sure how to press them out. I know you melt the plastic out of the rear u-joints but the fronts are different. I have attached a pic, I just wanna make sure I'm doing it right since I'm gonna use a shops press for free.

Attached Thumbnails Wonder about best way to press out front drive shaft u-joints-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

what i do is put a socket on each side of the joint.
one side larger so the joint can pass into it...on side smaller so it can push the joint out of the yoke.
i do this using a bench vise...also a little tap with a hammer once you have pressure on it can help it pop as well. pb blaster couldnt hurt.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Yep, Vice and a couple of sockets one to act as a cup and one to press into the cup. But if this is the first time that the U-Joints need to be replaced you may have difficulty if the U-Joint are held in place by injected plastic from the factory. I know I had a hell of a time getting my U-Joints removed the first time. Some heat along with the vice and sockets may help.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Starting Member
bowtie-72 is on a distinguished road

Mine had a small snap ring on each cup. Make sure you take a small screw driver and pop them out first. Then you can use your sockets and a vise and press them out.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

I am guessing they are stock, I got 150,000 miles and they don't spin at all and are siezed up. I'm not seeing anything that looks like a snap ring, if they are origional I am guessing they are just press in right? I will take a look at it tomorrow because I am pretty sure all I saw was a black rubber gasket on the backside/inside of the joint.

And the plastic that needs to be melted out is on the rear shaft u-joints, I found a decent video on youtube showing that.

Thanks for the table vise idea, I was just thinking I would go use a press but everyone's got a table vise.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 AM

The original are held in place on the drive shaft by injected plastic. You will see a small hole where the plastic was injected to act as a retainer. You might need to use heat to melt the plastic while pressing the joints out. The new U-Joint will be held in place my snap rings. The drive shaft has the groove for the snap ring it's just not utilized by the factory.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mr.vls
The original are held in place on the drive shaft by injected plastic. You will see a small hole where the plastic was injected to act as a retainer. You might need to use heat to melt the plastic while pressing the joints out. The new U-Joint will be held in place my snap rings. The drive shaft has the groove for the snap ring it's just not utilized by the factory.

Correct. Use a propane torch and melt the plastic. Then press them out with the vice.

The new ones need to be installed with the snap rings. Have fun the stock ones are a pain to remove.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

You know when the plastics melted and done when you hear a small sizzle and a pop. Wear long sleeve shirt though,sometimes that plastic will shoot out. hawt!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 PM

Well, how did you make out with replacing you U-Joints?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i do the double socket and vise thing at home. make sure you have a big enough vise too. a little $10 harbor freight one will probably break. best thing is one of those giant c-clamp tools made for ball joints and u joints.

Quick Reply: Wonder about best way to press out front drive shaft u-joints