1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

WONT START-NO Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 04:04 PM
freeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WONT START-NO Power

Hello everyone Im new here.......So my 1991 Blazer is sitting in my driveway because it wont start...When i turn the key, I dont even get any power what so ever...My instrument panel is all digital and not even this or the radio will work...Ive tried jumping the car but that wont work...what can I do?

Old 07-27-2005, 10:42 AM
I8URVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: WONT START-NO Power

Make sure that the terminals on the battery are clean and connected correctly. When you say you tried jumping it and it didn't work what happened exactly? Sometimes when a battery is real dead you need to let it charge up for a few minutes before it will start while jumping.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:14 PM

So all of my battery terminals are clean and connected correctly. I have been letting the battery charge up for the past 15 minutes. Now everytime I turn the key to jump it, it comes bery close to starting but never turns all the way over. Could this be a problem with my alternator or my ignitiion coil?

Old 07-27-2005, 04:54 PM

Alright so i took my old battery to auto zone and in fact, it was not holding a charge. Now that I have a new battery my Blazer still will not start. I checked my spark plugs and everything looks good. Could this be an issue with my starer, alternator, or ignition coil? i really dont know where to start and its 94 degress outside and I dont have a garage to work in......vehicles suck sometimes.....

Old 07-28-2005, 12:50 PM
blazer95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having a similar problem......

I replaced the alternator. Reconnected the battery, (which had been disconnected at both posts, pos/neg) and now there is no power. No power anywhere in the vehicle and the battery is testing good. No dome light, nothing.

I checked/cleaned the posts, and there are only two connections on the alternator.
The battery tested good just before i started. Any ideas, Does this blazer haver a Main Fuse? (1995 chevy Blazer 4 dr 4wd vortec v6) Which fusible links should i check?

How did an easy task turn into a several hour project?

Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
I8URVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you eliminated one problem. At least now it is trying to turn over. What does it sound like when you try and start it? Is it cranking? If so the starter should be fine.

ORIGINAL: freeman

Alright so i took my old battery to auto zone and in fact, it was not holding a charge. Now that I have a new battery my Blazer still will not start. I checked my spark plugs and everything looks good. Could this be an issue with my starer, alternator, or ignition coil? i really dont know where to start and its 94 degress outside and I dont have a garage to work in......vehicles suck sometimes.....

Old 07-28-2005, 06:27 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just fixed a '87 S10-Blazer with similar issues. No power to the cab, and no ignition. I hope what I post helps you out. First and foremost check all your fuses. Make sure they are good.

Make sure the negative battery cable connects to the vehicle frame, body, and block. Rare that this wire will break, and rarer for it to need replacement. However if it ain't hooked up at any of those spots you will have all sorts of electrical gremlins. Unfortunately the block ground connection is on the back of the block and I doubt you will be able to see it.

The positive battery cable runs directly to your starter. There should be another wire on the same post as the battery cable on the starter. This wire feeds power to the cab of the truck when the engine is off. My truck has a fuseable link close to the connector by the starter. If this fuse has blown, you will not get any power to the cab. I am pretty sure the other wire on the starter runs to the ignition switch. Make sure your fuseable link is good, and both the nuts are clean and tight.

The alternator has a wire harness for power control, gauges atc. On my '87 there are 2 wires attached to the bolt on the back of the alternator. One of those wires runs to the battery. This is how your battery gets charged when the engine is running. The other wire runs to the cab of the truck and provides power once the engine is running. This wire also has a fuseable link. Test it.

Testing to find the problem.
Negative wire. Disconnect the positive and negative wires from the battery. Test for continuity. Put one probe on the negative wire at the battery connector, the other end on the block, then the frame, and then the body. Make sure you have a good connection, bare metal. It won't work through rust/paint/dirt very well if at all. If this all test out OK, good.

Now you need to test your fuseable links. Good luck, the one by the starter is a pain, but doable. Also make sure your starter nuts are clean and tight. I think this is where my problem may have been, that or some crispy wires I found while rerouting them. While doing my testing I noticed all my wires on the passengers side ran between the block and exhaust mainfold, and a couple were pinched between the starter and oil pan. I didn't like that, and for $20 rerouted all of them. I can go into details if your interested.

My truck runs just fine now.