1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

WOOOOHOOOOOOO my 4wd works finally!!! So how do I work it? LOL

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010 | 06:54 AM
|
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road
Default WOOOOHOOOOOOO my 4wd works finally!!! So how do I work it? LOL

Quick recap....

bought this 93 S10 Blazer w/ 4wd about 3 months ago. Everything in great shape, with 91k original miles, except for the 4wd. No lights on the switch at all.

Long story short... it was the TCCM. Found one locally from a '93 that a guy was parting out. Gave him $30. Came home, swapped it, and LIGHTS ON THE SWITCH FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

It goes into 4hi and 4lo perfectly with no apparent issues (but this is my first 4wd vehicle and first time seeing this S10 Blazer go into 4wd so it seems perfect anyway).

So, I need to know the specific and correct way to go into and out of 4wd properly. I kinda fumbled into and out of yesterday and I don't want to do something incorrectly and screw this up after just getting it fixed.

I found you can't change while in park it seems LOL

So, please tell me it's safe to use 4hi and 4lo such as while in motion, max speed, when to be in neutral, does it ever need to be stopped, etc.

Thanks.

Also what maintenance should I do to the transaxle? This is the first time the 4wd has been activated in YEARS. This was a real 'little ole ladies car' and she was only like second owner and said she never pressed the 4wd button ever as she didn't know what it was for.

Last edited by rastoma; 01-28-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2010 | 04:14 PM
|
Starting Member

anybody?

thought this was a simple request. I tried searching but can't find anything about the factory operation procedure.

Old 01-28-2010 | 04:34 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

4 high can be engaged and disengaged at any time. I like to be still or moving slowly AND IN NEUTRAL when I engage/ disengage it just so I don't tear schit up. 4 Low is the one you really want to be careful about. If you try to shift it into 4 Lo while moving you will fukc schit up. I have a push button 4x4 so when I put it into 4 Lo I put it into 4high first before i shift into 4 Lo. 4 Lo should only be a last resort, the only time you should use 4 Lo is if you are slowly pulling somebody out or climbing up a hill. It is best to be stopped completely when shifting into 4 Lo, the fastest you want to be going shifting into 4 Lo is idle speed or less. I had a friend that tried to engage 4 Lo while going like 15 to 20 mph and 4 Lo never worked after that incidence. You also don't want to be going more that like 5 or 10 mph in 4 Lo or more than like 30ish mph in 4 high just to make sure you don't fry schit. I also like to throw my transmission into the opposite gear as I was in while 4x4 was engaged just to make sure 4x4 is disengaged. Sometimes my truck didn't like to disengage if I continued in the same direction and this helped solve the problem. As for maintenance, you are going to want to check the fluid levels in the differentials and transfer case, seals, leaking from the transfer case, any wear in the CV shafts, such as cracks in the boots, missing boots, or grease spewing out of the boot.

Old 01-28-2010 | 04:41 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

Shifting from 2HI to 4HI
Press and release the 4HI switch.This can be done at any speed, and the front axle will lock automatically.

Shifting from 4HI to 2HI
Press and release the 2H switch. This can be done at any speed, the front axle will unlock automatically.

Shifting from 2HI or 4HI to 4LO
To shift from 2HI or 4HI to 4LO, the vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 3MPH with the transmission in the NEUTRAL/N. In vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission or the clutch engaged in a manual transmission.

This is straigh out of my manual hope it helps.

Old 01-28-2010 | 05:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rastoma
anybody?

thought this was a simple request. I tried searching but can't find anything about the factory operation procedure.
It is a simple question that is detailed in the owners manual as others have stated as well as being covered in quite a few threads on the forum... Something a quick search or two would have turned up. At the very least, you should have waited 24 hours before bumping your post as the rules of the forum state.

Old 01-28-2010 | 06:25 PM
|
Starting Member

I did a through search and and an appropriate thread did not come up. The search function does NOT work worth a flip unless you already know the words in the thread and use those exact same words. Since I haven't seen the thread with the instructions then it's not so easy to find.

Sorry about the 24 hr bumping.

Originally Posted by jacobcnc
Shifting from 2HI to 4HI
Press and release the 4HI switch.This can be done at any speed, and the front axle will lock automatically.

Shifting from 4HI to 2HI
Press and release the 2H switch. This can be done at any speed, the front axle will unlock automatically.

Shifting from 2HI or 4HI to 4LO
To shift from 2HI or 4HI to 4LO, the vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 3MPH with the transmission in the NEUTRAL/N. In vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission or the clutch engaged in a manual transmission.

This is straigh out of my manual hope it helps.

I just have two options... 4hi and 4lo

Anyone know the specific instructions for that?

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-28-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive Posting is prohibited by the rules of the forum.
Old 01-28-2010 | 08:00 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

You dont have a button that says 2HI on it?

Old 01-28-2010 | 09:15 PM
giod is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummm, those instructions didn't include anything other than 4hi and 4lo...

Old 01-28-2010 | 09:28 PM
|
Starting Member

You dont have a button that says 2HI on it?
No, just a rocker switch that says 4hi and 4lo

I just don't want to do something out of sequence and possible mess something up. Supposedly the TCCM won't let you do something that will harm the transaxle but I don't want to take chances and want to the know the correct steps to take.

Old 01-28-2010 | 09:30 PM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by giod
Ummm, those instructions didn't include anything other than 4hi and 4lo...

Read 'em again the 93 doesn't have a 2hi button. Just pressing 4hi a second time while it's in 4hi seems to do the trick though.

Shifting from 2HI to 4HI

Shifting from 4HI to 2HI

Quick Reply: WOOOOHOOOOOOO my 4wd works finally!!! So how do I work it? LOL