2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry MrBlaze1, just saw your reply in this thread. Were you able to use the diagrams in this thread to make the conversion? If not, what are you having trouble with specifically so we can try to help.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Starting Member
joshbgosh10592 is on a distinguished road

Ok thank you all for having the information needed to wire my driver side!
Here is what I figured out. My mirror is from AutoZone.
96 left,- 02 right.
White-black (the only wire on the top. the bottom black was for the heated.)
LT blue-red
Yellow-purple
LT green-Yellow

Old 01-25-2012, 02:11 PM
hollywoodgrad is on a distinguished road

Ok, here's the deal. The 2001 mirrors have a all up and right in one wire. If possible to take mirror apart you can cut the wire between both the motors and run them individual. That would be the correct way. I have not done it but I will look at it this weekend. In a e&e class and my instructor said it physically can't be done right unless to run the yellow wire twice separately (and I don't mean spliced). Wondering about the heater mirrors, off defrost button? When I figure it out I will give you my answers for both sides

Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Starting Member
Chevyrider RevT is on a distinguished road

i have a 98 and i bought new mirrors but they have a 3 pin harness ? any help would be great i think i understand where to do the ground and the connection for the led directionals but i cant figure out ground another thing that would be helpful is a list of the color coded wires in the mirrors for a 98 and wat they do

Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Beginning Member
ZR2Winnebago is on a distinguished road
Default Heated mirror wiring diagram?

This is along the same lines but different. First, my story. I have a 2000 ZR2 that the hinges on the doors were trashed. It was cheaper to get different doors then to have the hinges replaced. I got complete doors off of a 1996 bravada. Found out to late that the door panels mounted different than my 2000. So, I went with the 1996 door panels because my panels were busted up. Here's where it gets tricky. I put in my wiring harnesses from my old doors so the power door locks would work (another thread to explain) and I can use the '96 window and door switches. And after studying the diagrams, I should be able to get the mirrors to move. However, I have heated mirrors. I saw some where else that they work with the rear defrost. This brings me to my question. The '96 master switch does not have a provision for the heated mirrors. Theoretically, I should be able to take that wire and wire it directly to my mirror, correct?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Starting Member
ultra2008 is on a distinguished road

i need the plug view for the 96 blazer mirrors both sides dr and pass... im converting my 96 to a 1999 style mirror

Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 AM
1998envoy is on a distinguished road

If you are unable to figure out the wiring, go to a junkyard and grab a wire harness from whatever year mirrors you have. I just did that to put 2000 mirrors on my 98. That way everything will plug in and be correct

Old 12-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Beginning Member
fwupow is on a distinguished road

Well, the RH mirror just busted off my '96 and I've ordered some Power-Heated replacements from Rock Auto but they're the "2nd Style" which came out in '99. So I am now in this same boat of trying to figure out how to retrofit the obviously highly improved mirrors of the '99 to '04 Blazers to my '96. The way that the switch changes between Right/Left & Up/Dwn is by reversing the Polarity sent to the motors.

So I've studied the schematics and the problem is in the control switch.

The Up/Dwn functionality is exactly the same between the "1st Style ('94-'98)" and "2nd Style ('99-'04)" as far as polarity and wire color except that on the RH mirror you have PPL/WHT instead of GRY.

The Right/Left functionality however is opposite. The '99-'04 Switch sends opposite polarity to the Right/Left motors compared to the '94-'98 switch.

THE CURE? Near as I can tell, if it's possible to access the Right/Left motor inside the mirrors and swap the two wires, that should change the direction that the motor turns in Right/Left operation.

As far as the heat goes. There must be a GND wire (BLK) and a PWR wire (ORN). I'll probably use the Rear Defog switch to trigger a relay to send power to the Orange wires. I guess I'll have to find a good place to draw Power and run wires into the doors.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member
Default 1996 Wiring Diagram decoded

Based on the 1996 wiring diagram posted by swartlkk above:

Assuming use of factory original (OEM) Control Switch and vehicle wiring here are the outputs to the mirrors on both sides:

Attached Thumbnails 02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?-23rjr7n.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member
Default 1997 Wiring diagram decoded

Based on the 1997 wiring diagram posted by swartlkk above:

Assuming use of factory original (OEM) Control Switch and vehicle wiring here are the outputs to the mirrors on both sides:

Attached Thumbnails 02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?-op2y4y.jpg  

Quick Reply: 02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?