2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

04 S-10 Blazer - Console Shift in Park - key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 PM
dsevern is on a distinguished road
Default 04 S-10 Blazer - Console Shift in Park - key stuck in ignition

I have a 2004 S-10 Blazer Extreme, 2dr Automatic. Console shifter.
Occasionally, when I turn the vehicle off, I can't get the key out of the ignition.

Took it in to the dealer today and $148 later/lighter they said it was a bad wire in the console but also that the "micro-switch" that determines when it's in park "seemed a bit worn". However the tech said that would almost certainly be OK and that I should be fine 99% of the time. He said you can't just replace the micro-switch you have to replace the entire shifter assembly and that was $400 just for the parts.

When I drove home, I put the car in park and again as luck would have it, couldn't get the key out. I shifted back to drive and then back into Park a few times, the last time pushing quite hard when shifting into Park and then I was able to get the key out.

So... does anyone have any suggestions. I suspect that eventually the switch is going to break or stop functioning and then I won't be able to get the key out or possibly not start it the next time.

Can the switch be bypassed? Can it be replaced despite what the dealer said?

Also, are there any photos/instructions on the 'net for getting access to said micro-switch?

Thanks in advance!

Update: Now I can't get the key out at all! I have tried slamming it in to Park, putting it in Park.. pushing hard on the shift handle when in Park.. nothing.
I'm wondering if the Dealer Tech was even on the right track. In this vehicle, when you put it in Park, it unlocks the electric door locks. That works fine. I can hear it do it every time I put it in Park.
I've seen some posts that mention a "park lock solenoid" in the steering column itself. I'm wondering if that might be the cause.

I found some other posts which referrred to a "hole" on the underside of the steering column. They talked about sticking and pen/screwdriver in the hole and it would release the key. I did find a pencil sized hole on the underside next to a whole with a screw in it. I stuck both a pencil and a screwdriver up in there. It didn't feel like it did anything and it definitely didn't release the key.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by dsevern; 01-22-2011 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Update.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:45 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

I don't know for sure what the North American models are like but on my RHD 99 UK model (which also has a console shifter) there is a small solenoid that prevents the ignition key from being turned all the way back (and therefore removed) unless the shifter is in park.
I would guess that the solenoid is actuated by the PNP switch on the side of the transmission when it is in the PARK position. I have a factory manual so will have a look at the circuit diagram.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 PM

*bump*
Anyone?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The tech told you the right thing. It sounds like a problem with the shifter itself, not anything inside the column.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 AM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem on my 97 Bravada for many years. If I let the key sit in the ignition overnight it would release. Spent dozens of hours trying to figure it out with no success. In the end I just kept to sets of keys and left the ignition key in place on occasions when it got stuck.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Genosse is on a distinguished road
Wink

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
I had the same problem on my 97 Bravada for many years. If I let the key sit in the ignition overnight it would release. Spent dozens of hours trying to figure it out with no success. In the end I just kept to sets of keys and left the ignition key in place on occasions when it got stuck.
I arrived to the same solution after many efforts (also installed a new ignition switch): now I simply left the key (sometimes must do it overnight) and use the replace key (S10 Blazer '97).

Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
stlunatics2oo3 is on a distinguished road

well this might not be the same for your blazer but on my 98 grand prix i completely removed my ignition lock solenoid or you can replace it. I know on my grand prix you had an access hole under the column you could stick a screw driver in and it would manual release the the key out. When I removed mine I didnt have any problems with the vehicle whats so ever.

update:
yeah I just read your update I would just remove the park solenoid and see if that is the problem it is held on by I think 1 torx bolt. if it helps then either replace or keep disconnected as I said before I did it on my grand prix and never had an ill effect.

Last edited by stlunatics2oo3; 02-28-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by stlunatics2oo3
well this might not be the same for your blazer but on my 98 grand prix i completely removed my ignition lock solenoid or you can replace it. I know on my grand prix you had an access hole under the column you could stick a screw driver in and it would manual release the the key out. When I removed mine I didnt have any problems with the vehicle whats so ever.
Yep, same for my '97. Look under the steering wheel, you'll see the inspection hole in the cover. Removed the solenoid on mine, no problems now, other than you can turn the key off while in Drive.
Not sure if the '98-05s have this, but take a look and see.

Originally Posted by stlunatics2oo3
update:
yeah I just read your update I would just remove the park solenoid and see if that is the problem it is held on by I think 1 torx bolt. if it helps then either replace or keep disconnected as I said before I did it on my grand prix and never had an ill effect.
There's also another solenoid on the shifter mechanism for floor mounted shifters. Pull the boot up to get a look at it. It's at the base of the shifter mount.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 AM

Just a follow-up.
I took it to a mechanic and he diagnosed it as the micro-switch on the shifter mechanism. After a brief chat, he agreed to bypass it and not accept any liability.
I've been able to get the keys out ever since. Sure I can also take them out going down the highway with the car in drive... but why would I. I never "almost accidently pulled the keys out of the ignition while driving down the highway if not for the shift interlock" before, why would I now?

Seems a pretty stupid design on Chevy's part.... have to replace the entire shifter assembly just because a $1.00 switch goes bad? WTF?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Fozzy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dsevern
Just a follow-up.
I took it to a mechanic and he diagnosed it as the micro-switch on the shifter mechanism. After a brief chat, he agreed to bypass it and not accept any liability.
I've been able to get the keys out ever since. Sure I can also take them out going down the highway with the car in drive... but why would I. I never "almost accidently pulled the keys out of the ignition while driving down the highway if not for the shift interlock" before, why would I now?

Seems a pretty stupid design on Chevy's part.... have to replace the entire shifter assembly just because a $1.00 switch goes bad? WTF?
Any idea how he bypassed the microswitch?

Quick Reply: 04 S-10 Blazer - Console Shift in Park - key stuck in ignition