2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1994 blazer wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Beginning Member
detailman is on a distinguished road

my wife diagnosed my miss for me lol she spotted a plug wire on the exhaust but it still does the up and down idle and i checked the fluid in the tranny and it looks low so i will get some fluid and fill it up and hopefully that will fix the shifting problem.and i also got the anti lock brake light on now for some reason i don't know whats up with that.and i noticed when putting the vacuum lines back on there all deteriorated and dried up looking so they are not very tight fitting they would just crumble in my hand if i squeezed on them.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Time for some new vacuum lines Rough running after 4 or 5 minutes could be a problem with the oxygen sensor. When the engine is first started, the PCM is in open loop and it ignores the oxygen sensor. It uses other sensors to calculate what fuel mixture and ignition timing should be. When the PCM switches to closed loop, it relies heavily on the oxygen sensor to make the calculations. So if it's screwy, the engine will not run properly when in closed loop.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member

ok i got it running smooth now but the abs light is on and the tranny would not shift unless i manually shift it so i thought it was low of fluid and put a qt in it and now i got big clouds of white smoke when i give it gas! theres what looks like a transmission cooler in front of the radiator can i just take a line loose from it and drain some tranny fluid from there instead of dropping the pan?

Old 01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yes. Trans fluid must be checked when the fluid is at operating temp, not engine coolant, (takes longer to heat up trans fluid). Usually takes 30 minutes of driving, longer in cold weather.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member

i took the line of of the trans cooler and started it and let it pump the qt i added back out so if i let it run awhile will it burn that out that tranny fluid thats making it smoke out the exhaust? and what do i do about the abs light and it being in limp mode?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM

Are you seeing smoke or steam from the tailpipe? No way for trans fluid to get into the combustion chambers. You may just be seeing steam: catalytic converts produce water. Or it may be coolant, possibly from a leaky intake gasket, head gasket, or cracked head. Any of these would cause the engine to run rough though, which you say it's not.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Beginning Member

im almost sure its tranny fluid because i can see it on the ground where its coming out the tail pipe and i can wipe it with my hand and smell the tranny fluid i read somewhere in here that overfilling the tranny will cause it to suck fluid in through the vacuum lines so i was assuming that was the case. i checked the oil and theres no water in it and the antifreeze still looks good

Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM

If this is a 4WD, there's a vacuum switch on the transfer case that can fail and allow transfer case fluid to be sucked into the vacuum system for the HVAC/4WD. If the problem is not taken care of in a timely fashion, fluid could eventually get sucked into the combustion chambers. The transfer case uses transmission fluid, this might be where it's coming from. If you remove the transfer case fill plug, fluid may run out if it's over full. Now, it doesn't necessarily need to come out of the fill plug hole for fluid to be sucked into the lines, the vacuum switch is physically lower than the fill plug.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member

yes it is 4WD and i have been letting it run at idle for probably 20 minutes now its not blowin the fluid out like it was since its been running for awhile now but it is smoking a little still but i dont think its fluid no more it looks white to me and i also found a blew fuse that turned off the anti lock light when i replaced it. i wonder if that will fix my transmission not shifting problem?it just barely smokes at idle and gets worse as i give it gas. and it is running alot smoother it still shakes just a little when it does the up and down idle thing.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Beginning Member

i just drove it down the road and back and it is shifting now since i replaced the fuse and got the anti lock light out and it is running a lot better the longer it runs the smoother its running but it still puffs out the smoke it looks white then when i give it gas it poofs out a more darker blue or black looking smoke and it smell like fuel bad when i walk back to the back of the vehicle. it smells like its running rich.but it is definitely running smoother.

Quick Reply: 1994 blazer wont start