2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 Blazer project; insight appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:25 AM
Beginning Member
Radio is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 1996 Blazer project; insight appreciated

Greetings, salutations, and happy holidays to all!

I'm a 29 year old man from the East Coast currently residing in the Pacific NorthWest. Between a single tour in the USN, embarking on my first parenting experience 5 years ago, and being 3000 miles from all I know yet escaped-I'm surviving on the West Coast. Moving on...

Recently I struck a deal with a buddy of mine, who also happens to be my rental company's handy man, to purchase his 1996 Blazer. There's a laundry list of issues that I'll plaster at the end of this post, but first I have a few quick questions.

Considering the current condition of this blazer, I know I'll be going for scrap yard finds. What I can't manage there I'll replace with OEM parts.

Here's my inquiries:

1. Is it worth taking your rig to an automotive electrician if it is so jury rigged that there's a lollipop stick used to manipulate blinkers/brake lights?

2. Do blazers favor any particular brand of air/fuel/oil filters and/or spark plugs? I typically go with WIX for filters and NGK for plugs.

3. This rig has over 250k on the odometer. Just how soon before the transmission craps out...or is the engine/tranny in these rides fairly durable?

Issues:

- Missing rear passenger door panels
- Missing dash and instrument cover panels
- Missing grille cover
- Hood release broken (works by pulling wire at hood release)
- Broken parking brake lever assembly
- Brakes need to be bled or replaced
- Electricals need to be gone through (4 aftermarket switches installed, mess mess mess)
- Secondary roof mounted antenna (gotta go)
- Ford bumper mounted on rear
- Boat lights installed for headlights
- AC assembly completely missing
- No carpeting
- More stuff I'm sure I'll remember or discover as I go
- No rearview mirror

Now, the panels are mostly accounted for, sitting in the cargo area that is. The rearview mirror in it was a long multi mirrored bar that I took out because I'm 6'0" and it literally obstructed my view while driving. Oh and a fun random fact...I called the rig Radio. Name stuck because one look at it and you just want to put a football helmet and water wings on it and throw it on a short bus. Nevermind the lack of a radio in it-doesn't even have speakers. Sucker got gutted out and this is the base model. Damn shame really. The good news is it does run...better so once I replace the serpentine belt.

Alright then. You folks take care. Feel free to add your own two cents. I'll post some pics of the issues later if it's alright. It was midnight when I went through all the forum rules so I'm not sure if I missed anything.

Regards, Radio

Old 12-09-2014, 07:10 PM
cbsmith111 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am new here as well, and I am certainly far from an expert. Sounds like your truck needs a lot of work. Nothing wrong with that, but you might want to do some math to see if it's worth it to you. For example I just got my '99 Blazer with 130,000 miles for $2800. It is pretty much loaded (for a mid range vehicle from the late nineties) and pretty much everything still works. There's nothing wrong with putting the work into a vehicle. Sometimes The joy of the project and searching for parts is the whole point. These trucks are getting pretty easy to find cheap though. I see them regularly in the $1500 range in driveable condition. Just something to consider before you start spending money.

As for the engine/trans although this is my first blazer I have had two s10 pickups with the 4.3 v6 and have had good luck out of them. The one I just sold had about 200,000 and was still running and driving fine. I have seen them with over 300,000. It's one of the better engines ever produced in my opinion. I have seen transmissions go out though, and I have seen engine problems with high mileage. It is pretty much a combination of how well it's been taken care of and maybe a little luck.

Good luck with your project!

Old 12-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cbsmith111
Hello, I am new here as well, and I am certainly far from an expert. Sounds like your truck needs a lot of work. Nothing wrong with that, but you might want to do some math to see if it's worth it to you. For example I just got my '99 Blazer with 130,000 miles for $2800. It is pretty much loaded (for a mid range vehicle from the late nineties) and pretty much everything still works. There's nothing wrong with putting the work into a vehicle. Sometimes The joy of the project and searching for parts is the whole point. These trucks are getting pretty easy to find cheap though. I see them regularly in the $1500 range in driveable condition. Just something to consider before you start spending money.

As for the engine/trans although this is my first blazer I have had two s10 pickups with the 4.3 v6 and have had good luck out of them. The one I just sold had about 200,000 and was still running and driving fine. I have seen them with over 300,000. It's one of the better engines ever produced in my opinion. I have seen transmissions go out though, and I have seen engine problems with high mileage. It is pretty much a combination of how well it's been taken care of and maybe a little luck.

Good luck with your project!
Considering I've been financially struggling for the past year now, I have limited options on vehicles. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the blazer since it belongs to my friend/grounds keeper. Guy's a bit of a stoner though and I think he got in over his head when he tried doing some of the electricals.

$1000 is what I'm paying for it and already have $200 down. It runs. I know it needs the serpentine belt replaced, probably a new air filter, oil change, tires pressurized...simple enough stuff. I'm going to wind up shelling out money to get the wiring re done though. My game plan is to get everything on this rig back to factory specs minus the paint.

Thanks for the insight good sir.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:56 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

I personally would pass on it.....reason being is it sounds like a complete moron owns it or owned it!!I think for 1k u could find a more worthy blazer at this cost!!! These motors are known to run for 300k , however with the half assed 'rigging' that has been done I would highly doubt the engine and trans received much maintenance.....:icon_question I understand u have a small budget, but it truly sounds like this thing is a pile of crap............sorry this is my opinion from what u mentioned......I would run from this offer!!!!!

Old 12-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi
I personally would pass on it.....reason being is it sounds like a complete moron owns it or owned it!!I think for 1k u could find a more worthy blazer at this cost!!! These motors are known to run for 300k , however with the half assed 'rigging' that has been done I would highly doubt the engine and trans received much maintenance.....:icon_question I understand u have a small budget, but it truly sounds like this thing is a pile of crap............sorry this is my opinion from what u mentioned......I would run from this offer!!!!!
I understand your perspective and while I agree, I'm in a bind. Currently unemployed so this is the only running vehicle I have and I don't have the money to buy a different one in full. Heck, this one is a deal I set up with the guy using payments.

I'm hoping between taking it to an auto repair shop that specializes in electrical work and then doing the body work myself that it'll be worth it.

NOTE: Also, worst case scenario, I'm hoping I can at least invest just enough into it to make it OEM again and if push comes to shove, sell it for $1000 plus whatever I put into it just so I can break even.

Last edited by Radio; 12-11-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:37 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Not to berate you but, and thats a big BUT, you are in a financial bind because you make decisions like this, buying a $500 vehicle for 1000. And you just made a baby also. Shees bro pull back on the stick a little. A close frend of mine just bought an S10 pu for$1800 (soCA prices). Pretty good condition. I had started to help him with some reliability issues and what did he go and do. Yup you guessed it; bad decision. Went on a three day bender with the SES light burning a hole in his retina. I was just about to put some stock rims with some near new tires on his truck so he could start making some money with it. You guessed again; blown gasket! And he parked it in the same spot for 72hrs, got a ticket 72hrs later it was towed.
Moral, ftds. You will never get what you paid plus what you put into that truck. (even if your labor rate is 65cents an hour)

Old 12-16-2014, 01:39 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Not to berate you but, and thats a big BUT, you are in a financial bind because you make decisions like this, buying a $500 vehicle for 1000. And you just made a baby also. Shees bro pull back on the stick a little. A close frend of mine just bought an S10 pu for$1800 (soCA prices). Pretty good condition. I had started to help him with some reliability issues and what did he go and do. Yup you guessed it; bad decision. Went on a three day bender with the SES light burning a hole in his retina. I was just about to put some stock rims with some near new tires on his truck so he could start making some money with it. You guessed again; blown gasket! And he parked it in the same spot for 72hrs, got a ticket 72hrs later it was towed.
Moral, ftds. You will never get what you paid plus what you put into that truck. (even if your labor rate is 65cents an hour)
Seeing as how you're unaware of my situation and don't even know me, I'll put it this way as politely as possible...

I have run through a strand of Craigslist specials only for them to turn out to be lemons or something I cant afford to fix. This blazer is through an acquaintance of mine and worth maybe $700 and that's pushing it. It runs, but needs electrical and interior work. The guy isn't getting $300. It took him a week to deliver it and he lied about the condition.

Also, I don't need a berating or anything of the sort. And no, I'm in a financial bind because I need a job and on again/off again temp work isn't cutting it. I came here looking for mechanical insight, not opinions nor life advice, so keep your morals and such to yourself, thanks.

This thread can be closed btw. I'm done here.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you have emissions testing in your state but I am willing to bet money that even if you got this truck even close to being road worthy it will most likely never pass emissions. Just because it runs doesn't mean it runs correctly and then you will need to chase down all the problems and issues it will have when it starts trowing codes at you. Some of these can and are very expensive to correct. Save your money. I'm sure you could find a vehicle in your budget that will work better in your situation.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Gregg64
I don't know if you have emissions testing in your state but I am willing to bet money that even if you got this truck even close to being road worthy it will most likely never pass emissions. Just because it runs doesn't mean it runs correctly and then you will need to chase down all the problems and issues it will have when it starts trowing codes at you. Some of these can and are very expensive to correct. Save your money. I'm sure you could find a vehicle in your budget that will work better in your situation.
There is no emissions testing in my area. And no, I don't have a budget right now to work with. I'm in a bind here. Doesn't matter though, I have my own plans in motion.

This thread can be closed btw.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Ok then have at it.

Quick Reply: 1996 Blazer project; insight appreciated