2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1997 blazer miss/skip while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Starting Member
jasonblinn is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 blazer miss/skip while driving

i recently encountered a problem on a 1997 blazer i just got from a friend of mine,and figured i'd share this problem with you.since it only took a year and a half to figure this out..lol.
after replacing the intake gaskets,the truck started with a bad skip and a miss while driving.new plugs,wires and aftermarket cap and rotor button were installed.skip and miss was still there.so a new gm cap and rotor button was installed.still didnt fix anything.fuel filter was replaced,fuel pump was replaced,had good fuel pressure.almost every sensor on the motor was replaced.brought it to a few garages,they couldnt figure it out.so my friend drove it like that
i've been working on vehicles for 20 years.so i took it 1 day,determined i could figure this out.started by taking the distributor out,checked the gear,everything was good.put the motor at tdc,pointed the rotor button exactly at the little #6 on the distributor like your suppose to do(did this about 10 times just to be sure i was dead on)put everything back on and it was still doing the same thing.i hooked up my genesis system on it,checked the cam retard,idling it was at 0,gave it a shot of gas it would go to -60.(suppose to be from -4 to plus 4 i was told).so i knew something was up.no engine light was on,but after checking closely,it would never come on.some1 had removed the bulb.i checked the codes and it was giving me P0340(cam position sensor circuit),P0341(cam position circuit performance) and P1345(ckp/cmp correlation).so i knew it had something to do with the cam sensor.i replaced that and still it hadnt fixed anything.i'm not too good with wiring problems and i dont have the right equipment so i called my friend here in yarmouth nova scotia,that owns a garage and made an appointment.
i told the mechanic what the truck was doing.and within 15 minutes he had it figured out.while it was running he grabbed the pluggin at the cam sensor,moved it a bit and the truck started running rough then stalled.it was a bad connection at the cam sensor this whole time.he fixed it and it hasnt skipped or missed since that.checked the cam retard and everythings fine now.no more codes.
i hope someone out there will find this helpful.i read and read about skips and misses on these sites but nobody had a figured out the problem.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 AM
jim109 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that info dont need it yet but good to know....Jim

Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it figured out. Wiring/connection issues can be a real pain sometimes. A multimeter and some patience is really all that is required to find the faults.