2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer 20 minute Fuel Pump replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member
PtownBubba is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Blazer 20 minute Fuel Pump replace

Blazer fuel pump job, drop tank ,,,naaaaah,,,,,,,,,,,, that is broken bolts, scraped knuckles, spilling gas, fighting stuck bolts and connections, and new swear words created,,,,, just cut an access hole, about 20 minutes later, there is pump, not one naughty word was harmed in making this presentation. Hole,,, now what ? Just put some aluminum trim strips on under side of floor, and set the cutout piece back in, pop rivets and goop,,, factory new !
This may make a hardcore wrencher cringe, but heck it is an old 2K Blazer, not a Corvette, No more than 20 minutes and fuel pump is ready to pull, no cussing or skinned hands.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Blazer 20 minute Fuel Pump replace-blazer%2520fuel%2520pump.jpg   2000 Blazer 20 minute Fuel Pump replace-blazer-fuel-pump.jpg   2000 Blazer 20 minute Fuel Pump replace-blazer-fuel-pump1.jpg   2000 Blazer 20 minute Fuel Pump replace-blazer%2520fuel%2520pump1.jpg  
Old 05-14-2016, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I did this on my first gen, I added a hinge to it though, gas tank was all the way in the rear. Worked great and the couple times I had to replace the fuel pump or fix leaky lines at the pump made it worth it.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:31 AM
Beginning Member

Yup, not a bad way to do fuel pumps on many vehicles. It does seem brutal at first, but in most cases the access hole is located in a hidden out of the way place, and you can patch, seal, and cover up any access hole 'almost' as good a new, even though you may never do a fuel pump twice on same vehicle, it just seems reasonable to have an easy access to it. And,,,,,,,,,,,,, perhaps even more brutal is the cost of fuel pumps,,,,, what a spread,,, this is my son's Blazer, so I have been debating with him about that. Pumps for this Blazer, I have seen from 300$ plus,,, to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30$ [Ebay, w/free shipping ] That is bizarre,,,,,, ok we all know low quality parts,, but maybe also there are overpriced parts,,, all that being said, is getting the highest priced pump,,,, the only way to go,, when you factor in your vehicle may be an ole' bomber just used for short runs ???? If you are adventurous, a lil',, maybe a lower $ pump is the way to go,,,, ESPECIALLY with a fuel pump access hole,,,,still how can a 29.95 fuel pump even work ???? I also saw a lot of 50$ pumps in the interweb, from Wholesale Auto suppliers,,,, ??????????

Old 05-15-2016, 08:55 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

post pics of the repair patching

Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 AM
BF Veteran

The body and frame are in to good of shape on my truck to be cutting it up. Plus I prefer quality parts and doing the job right the first time. When i take something apart, most of the time I replace mating parts also. Just me but I prefer to drop the tank. I`ve done it on my first blazer and it took 1.5 hours. That included painting the tank and new straps. Piece of mind

Old 05-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Beginning Member

ok,newguy, waiting on son to deliver pump,,,,,, yikes, I guess I better do a good job then,,, not just goop and duct tape,,,,,more to come,,,,

you said quality parts,,,,, does quality 'always' mean expensive ????? Even testimonials can be flawed or sketchy,,,,I have seen a 100$ price difference on Delco-Remy pumps,,,, ??? So then I wonder if the cheaper one just has a damaged box, or,,,,,,,,,,,,, if it did not pass every point of inspection, or had a flaw or error in calibration that was found on the assembly line for a batch number produced, even if only with the packaging process , from that point it was thought not to be a problem but that batch is set aside, as it is not pristine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,A few years ago, we had the Buy American Made aspect, but anymore almost every production line part is not American Made, another sad state of affairs,,,,,

Last edited by PtownBubba; 05-15-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran

Ac delco or delphi, the lower quality ones always seem to crap out in a year or two. But, some people get lucky also. Good Luck. !70 or so at rockauto.com if you have time to wait for it

Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member

Went on a fishin' trip so job got delayed,,,, got pump in, cover plate w/tabs installed,, gooped up,,,, added duct tape before re-setting seats,,,,As mentioned,,,, some may call this brutal,, and it is,,, but a 16 year vehicle,,, not a real pretty vehicle,,,, so that rolls back some of the brutality. It is easy to do,,, gives you peace of mind if you are one who worries about a repeat failure,,,,,,,,,, if so,,,, a small nut driver, and a 6 or 8 screws, and pump is exposed,, no hoist, jack and jack stands,,, rolling around on floor, wrestling a tank full of gas,,,, no regrets,,, [white goop turned clear when it dried ]

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Blazer 20 minute Fuel Pump replace-access-hole-0.jpg   2000 Blazer 20 minute Fuel Pump replace-access-hole.jpg   2000 Blazer 20 minute Fuel Pump replace-access-hole-1.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:17 AM
Starting Member
FUN-V is on a distinguished road

That doesn't look bad.
All the one I saw must of been 1st gen because they were in flat cargo area.
I already swapped pumps, but if I have to again this will definitely be the way to go.
PtownBubba, did you happen to take measurements of where you cut before putting the seat back in?

Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Old thread. Original poster has not been around in almost 3 years. Thread closed.*