2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 driver side door

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
jennshea77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2001 driver side door

Has anyone had thier driver side door become loose and begin to hang down to the point that the door no longer closes correctly? What have you done to correct this issue?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jenn

Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 PM
FImports is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2001 driver side door

there are upper and lower pins that usualy hold your doors at a level.check them first

Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

pins should be your problem...might as well check all doors while you're at it

Old 12-03-2006, 10:19 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen this happen on a 95 blazer I was going to buy. You had to lift the door just to close it.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, replace your door pins. I'm getting ready to do the front passenger door on my Bravada. I have already done the front drives door. The rear doors don't have the weight that the fronts have.

Do yourself a favor and get the proper tool for removing/reinstalling the door springs. The removal is easy, but to put them back in... Lets just say I spent the better part of half a day screwing around with the spring trying to get it back in. It was a pain!

I purchased my spring compressor from Eastwood.com - search for 'light truck door spring tool' or something like that. It's only around $16+s&h and WELL worth it.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:52 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

yea kyle that spring can be a b'itch, i pulled off this double screwdriver trick to get it back on. then i realized i could have had my friend just hold the door while i bang away with longscrewdrivers. but i changed the pins and still have my door hanging low and the top pin seems to be pushing itself up. is there anyway to secure the pin better then its pressed grooves. plus it also seems like the hole is getting worn so am i looking at welding n ew hinges or could i simply find a larger copper washer to fit in the hole with the same diameter as the pin.!

Old 12-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As a quick fix, I have seen people use JB weld to fill the worn out part of the holes. Then with a round file, bring the hole back to true. I would weld the holes, and file them back out, but that's me. You've got to use what you know.

To remove the hinges and weld on new replacements is a bunch of work. If you get them misaligned to begin with, you're SOL!. If that is the route that you want to go, I would recommend drilling 2 1/8" holes through the old hinge while it's in place. Remove the welds that retain the hinge. Transfer the holes on the old hinge to the new hinge and use 2 1/8" pop-rivets to line up the new hinge for welding.

But I would definitely try to fix up the hinges that are there before removing them... Really all that needs to be there is material that won't mush out that will support the bushings. JB weld is some tough stuff!