2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2003 Blazer Mechanic bill a bit pricey

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 06:54 PM
spittybays

Auto Repair Estimates - Know How Much Car Repair Costs | AutoMD

Yes you do those all at once.
Go to this site and add up the cost of each job individually

Old 06-02-2013, 08:19 PM
chitown906 is on a distinguished road

The prices on that seems a bit high for the parts aspect, labor I believe is spot though. I think I'll hold off on the 02 sensor though just to save myself a little money. Now if i were to just do everything aside from the idler arm, would that be smart, or would it just be smarter for me to get it done with the ball joints and axle seals ?

Chi_Town

Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

$25 each for ball joints? Stay away, they're cheap junk. Moog are $60+ each for the lowers alone! Same with the idler arm, stay away. Lifetime warranty is great, but it doesn't cover labor, OR the alignment. If you keep the vehicle for 5 years, you'll replace that cheap stuff again, another $690 labor that can be saved by using Moog parts in the first place.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 AM

My issue is that I'm not sure ill even have this vehicle in 5years let alone by the end of this year ,if I can't get the mpg to improve by enough so I can afford to drive too and from work . I've even considered tossing it up for sale , book is at $6300 so I figured out it up for about $5500 and HOPE to get $4500-$5500 out of it .

Old 06-03-2013, 05:15 AM

So mainly it's up to me to decide if dropping a little extra is worth it , Only positive thing is I only have $2,300 into the blazer thus far so I'd still be under $3k after this job and I should be able to make a 2500-3k profit when it's all said and done if I were to sell it .

Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
spittybays

Sounds to me like you should spend the money on a good detail job and put the for sale sign on it now. These are notoriously high maintenance. You will never be happy with the mpg.

If you don't love to work on stuff yourself and funds are tight this is not the truck for you.

Change the o2 if the light is coming on and send it down the highway.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:20 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Agree with above, actually any 4WD vehicle is going to cost some $$$ to maintain. If you are expecting to get above 20mpg, forget it and put it up for sale. The only way a Blazer will get high mpg is coasting downhill. Buy a Neon, Corillia, Civic, Cobalt, "weed wacker", etc for high mpg.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 AM

I know , my problem is I am still unsure how in my 99 Tahoe Ls with a 5.7 I would 24mpg on the highway all the time, not just on long trips even to and from work, on the same trip I make in my blazer . I just listed the blazer up for sale or trade , I'll see where it goes , if it doesn't sell or I don't get any decent offers , I'll just fix it and deal with it. I really like the blazer , I just don't want to sink money into something that isn't going to last me when I do normal driving no offroading or anything of that matter .

Chi_Town

Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Mike Phillips is on a distinguished road

Depending on the bank and/or upper or heated lower O2 sensor, from the right website, they cost between $35 and $50 each. The socket can be purchased for $10 at Oreilley.
Then its a bit of dirt on your back and satisfaction of cash saved.

Upper ball joints are easy, once removed. Lowers are a bit harder, must be pressed in/out, which means a shop has to do it.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
Upper ball joints are easy, once removed. Lowers are a bit harder, must be pressed in/out, which means a shop has to do it.
The OP has 4WD, all 4 of the original ball joints are riveted to the control arms and the replacements are bolted in, no press necessary.

Quick Reply: 2003 Blazer Mechanic bill a bit pricey