2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2005 Chevy Blazer belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
hobie204 is on a distinguished road
Red face 2005 Chevy Blazer belt problem

I replaced the idler arm and the serpintine belt and they also said they replaced all the belts, this was a year ago.. I just took it in for the same noise and they told me it was the same thing, when I told them they replaced everything a year ago, they said I have to replace the water pump. The water pump works but the belt doesnt turn because the bearings have worn out... Does this make sense to anyone??? Help!!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
65longroof is an unknown quantity at this point

Sort of. Usually when a water pump goes out it leaks coolant all over but I have heard of them making noise. If the belt won't trun then what I would do is take the belt off and trun each pulley by hand to see which one is hard to turn or won't turn at all.

Good luck

Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How are they determining that the belt "won't turn"? If they are doing it with the belt tight and engine off, it should not turn since the crank will take a bit of force to turn...

Have they shown you why they think the waterpump is at fault? Like removed the belt and allowed you to spin the fan (connected to the pump) and feel for play or gritty rotation due to a worn bearing?

As stated, the water pump will typically **** coolant out the weep hole before completely killing itself. As the bearings wear, sooner or later, it will affect the lip seals inside. You get to a point where the play allows coolant past the lip seal and out of the pump. If it has gotten to the point where the bearings are locked up (doubtful), then you are well beyond where coolant should have leaked out of the weep hole.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member
tponeill is on a distinguished road

The water pump works but the belt doesnt turn because the bearings have worn out... Does this make sense to anyone??? Help!!

You are not getting the whole story or a phony one.

No this does not make sense. If the pump won't turn, the pump can't work. It is physically impossible! I agree with swartlkk, you need to turn the pump shaft "behind" the fan without the belt on to correctly determine if it is the culprit.

I have had pumps seize up because of bearing failure and not leak, but they sure didn't work and the belt lasted all of 10 seconds after the seize with very loud sceaming belt noises I will never forget it.

$1,300 fix in northern Quebec carribou hunting. Yes that's right, we were 8 hours away from a candy bar so pay the price!

Good luck.