2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

6 cd changer is getting slower loading and unloading cd's

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 cd changer is getting slower loading and unloading cd's

I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer. It has a 6 cd changer all integrated in the radio. It started making a funny noise when loading and unloading CD's and its getting slower at that too. Send it off for repairs. which I have a quote for $295 for, or something else. Not really interested doing a aftermarket system.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a gummed up mechanism inside the deck and/or a weak transfer motor. A qualified repair shop (if they exist) could disassemble the unit, clean the mechanism & all of the little switches/sensors involved, test/replace the transfer motor, and reassemble. I would expect it to cost all of the $295 you were quoted and possibly more depending on what needs to be replaced.

It might be a better idea to get a used factory replacement provided that it is unlocked.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Starting Member

Considering the cost, I may be open to the idea of doing a aftermarket receiver, if the price is reasonable. Any suggestions. Being that the Blazer is 12 years old, why would I pay as much for a used OEM that would cost me to do a new aftermarket that just a single CD. I only used the CD player for longer trips and being that CD changers are a thing of the past, I may be wise to use that money for insistence a new Ipod.

Last edited by kmartin; 06-30-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Any idea weekday brand your changer is? I ask because I have at least 3 changers that I will never use. I'll figure out what they are tomorrow and let you know. If one of them might work for you you can have it for whatever it costs to ship it to you.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Starting Member

Its the factory unit. It not a separate unit like they used to be.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Bummer! Nevermind then lol

Old 07-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Starting Member

Any body have advice on how to install an aftermarket system and all the tools and parts needed?

Old 07-03-2015, 03:12 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I would start with Crutchfield to see what adapters if any are needed. I think all you need is the connector adapter and a 1.5 DIN unit...but see what Cruthfield offers.

A factory 6 DC changer....never ever saw one in a Blazer...have only seen the single CD units. Is the changer inside the dash? I need to find a picture of such a creature.

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LannyL81
I would start with Crutchfield to see what adapters if any are needed. I think all you need is the connector adapter and a 1.5 DIN unit...but see what Cruthfield offers.

A factory 6 DC changer....never ever saw one in a Blazer...have only seen the single CD units. Is the changer inside the dash? I need to find a picture of such a creature.

Good luck.
Yes, the changer is in the dash and is all part of the unit. I could post pictures so I will make a link to see the picture: https://www.flickr.com/photos/22181002@N07/?

Also, you case you never saw a blazer with an Auto transfer case, look to the left to see the Auto 4wd button.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:15 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the picture....sure do not remember ever seeing one of those units.

Have seen lots of the auto 4wd; my '02 has that as well, but only the single disk CD. It did have the floor console mounted cassette, but I got rid of it and put another console in.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 6 cd changer is getting slower loading and unloading cd's