2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer: Fires but dies immediately...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
kgibson is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Blazer: Fires but dies immediately...

It's a '95 Blazer 4x4 4.3L Vortec, it will fire but stalls immediately. Checked for fuel in upper intake and nothing is there. If I keep my foot on the gas it will stay running at about 2,000 rpm, as soon as you let off the gas it will idle like a dragster for a second and then die. Today I went out and started it and it idled for about 30 min, shut it off and waited a few hours and now it's acting up again. Went out later and sprayed some throttle body cleaner on and around the butterfly to clean. After that I decided to try and start it and boom it tried to start like normal. So I opened up the butterfly and sprayed into the intake and tried to start it again. Sure enough it tried running again. I'm thinking the TB cleaner made it try to start, which is telling me it might be a fuel problem.

P.S. The weird thing is that... this all started 1 day after I changed the oil and filter.

Parts replaced:
-Dist. Cap
-Plugs
-Wires
-Fuel Pressure Regulator (4 Months Ago)
-EGR Valve
-Fuel Pump (4 Years Ago)
-Fuel Filter (2 Days Ago)

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

a simple way to check if you have at least some fuel pressure would be turning the key to on, then press the shrader valve on the fuel line behind the tb.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM

Won't that spray fuel everywhere?

Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 AM
65longroof is an unknown quantity at this point

It might spray. I would buy or borrow a fuel pressure gauge that is for fuel injection. This will screw into the schrader valve and tell you what your fuel pressure is. I had a similar problem just this week, turns out the check valve in the fuel pump itself went bad.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
BF Veteran

well, i guess if your scared of a little gas dont do it and pay someone or for a proper gauge...

Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by 65longroof
It might spray. I would buy or borrow a fuel pressure gauge that is for fuel injection. This will screw into the schrader valve and tell you what your fuel pressure is. I had a similar problem just this week, turns out the check valve in the fuel pump itself went bad.
Thanks 65longroof, The pump was replaced a few years ago. so.... I hope it isn't that.

Originally Posted by blazinloud
well, i guess if your scared of a little gas dont do it and pay someone or for a proper gauge...
Not scared of a little gas, it's just usually not a good idea to spray the motor with gas, eh?!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Starting Member
mrsosa559 is on a distinguished road

kay im kinda having the same probelm..for some reason my truck wont start at all i spray carb spray in the throttle and it will start for like 7 seconds then die out..it has brand new plugs wires cab rotator fuel pump filter.i replaced my m.a.p sensor and pigtail all brand new and still doesnt wanna start can neone help me out

Old 02-04-2011, 11:52 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Fuel pump... Try replacing the fuel filter first.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 PM
65longroof is an unknown quantity at this point

Another issue is that the connector on the injection unit can go "bad". Mine did, replacing harness right now. Take out the tuning valve and wiggle the connector a bit, be careful as the plastic will be brittle. Thats all it took to get mine to start back up.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran

don't mind me, im a dirty redneck

Quick Reply: 95 Blazer: Fires but dies immediately...