2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2WD or 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member
norteno is on a distinguished road
Default 2WD or 4X4

my 1997 4X4 blazer has the front suspension of a 2WD. The chiltons and haynes manuals have pictures of both front end suspenison/steering parts and mine looks exactly like a 2WD front suspension. I went to buy a center/drag link for mine and it was under auto parts store for 2WD not 4X4. The 4X4 version did not have a center link listed. Mine is a 4X4 because it has the three button switch, transfer case and everything else associated with the 4X4 version. The problem is I can't reach the pitman arm bolt as it is tucked under a frame crossmember and looks impossibble to get to. Videos I've seen show the pitman arm nut fully exposed and accessible but not mine. Doe's this make any sense to anyone. Thanks for any info.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

Remove the castle nut on the pitman arm, use a pickle fork to take it off the Drag link. Use a I believe 18 millimeter line wrench on the top two power steering lines. Remove the steering gear by 3 bolts on the driver side frame. Take the steering gear out of the truck in remove bottom bolt, use a pitman arm puller to remove the pitman arm. Installation is reverse of removal. Fill power steering reservoir full of power steering fluid with vehicle up in the air go lock to lock with steering wheel to bleed power steering fluid through lines.

Last edited by Joshs4x4; 11-21-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

what josh said.... you can't remove the pitman arm on a 4x4 with the steering box bolted in the vehicle. well unless you cut out the crossmember, but that may be the difficult way of doing it. the 2wd has coil springs, does it not?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am confused... very very very confused with this situation. I honestly hope your truck is not 4wd and has 2wd front end parts, 4wd front end parts are stronger, and that would just be weird.

And yes, 2wd has coil springs up front, which obviously would not work with 4wd.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Has the front suspension of a 2WD?? now thats strange... pictures??

Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

I want pictures too!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I third that notion.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 AM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

with something this weird you would think they would have the pictures ready...we need them...

Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Don't trust Chilton & Haynes: as you found out, they're wrong. What's the problem with your center link? The center link only has holes, no ball and socket joints. If the holes for the tie rod ends, idler arm or pitman arm are elongated or worn from a ball stud being loose, the GM dealer is where you're headed for the center link. The center link for 4WD is not a "wear" item, that's why the parts stores don't list it.

EDIT:
2WD pitman arm nut is fully exposed. 4WD it's hidden above the frame.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-22-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member
norteno is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

after further inspection, I concluded that 1. You are right. haynes and Chiltons manuals are not detailed or specific enough for me. I'd much rather rely on the extensive knowledge and experience of you blazerforum members. And 2. The idler arm, pitman arm, center link, and inner tie rod ends are hidden from view on the picture of the 4WD front suspension/steering components I saw in these manuals, so I conclude that both 2WD and 4WD versions have the same components. However, the centerlink I was sold at o'reillys does have two holes in it for the left and right inner tie rods and a joint on each end; one for the idler arm and the other for the pitman arm and it is listed only under the 2WD version at oreillys. Go figure. Thanks for hearing me out and sorry if I caused any confusion but I knew I could count on this great forum to give me the right info. So after pulling, pushing, turning and prying, I see it is the pitman arm that is loose and now I know how to get to it... I think. Thanks again and I will ask more questions.

Quick Reply: 2WD or 4X4