2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer Crazy Electrical Issues?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:08 PM
blazinDJ420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 Blazer Crazy Electrical Issues?!

I have a 98 Blazer, 4x4. Sometimes the flasher is just going off constantly behind the glove box. No lights blinking, just the flasher relaying. I have noticed that spontaneously my rear wiper will grunt! (it does THAT instead of working) When I hit the switch for it, it grunts, but it will grunt out of nowhere, so I assume if it actually worked, it would be wiping once or twice out of nowhere! I noticed that TWICE when my flasher WASNT doing its follies, the front wipers wouldnt work! But when the flasher started relaying again, the wipers worked fine!

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas? Bad ground, maybe?! ..or perhaps its time for a new multi-function switch? Hmm..
DJ

Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 98 Blazer Crazy Electrical Issues?!

This post is pretty old and had no replies, butthis is exactly why I joined today...althoughmy truck is a 2000 andisn't being quite as crazy. My flasher is clicking away...before or after the I turn the turn signals on or off, but everything is working fine - and the turn signals aren't flashing while the flasher does its thing. I did notice that it stopsclicking when I have the brakes on. I'm hoping the flasher but suspecting thecombination switch since the brake lights are affecting it somehow. I'm starting with the flasher since it'sthe easiest/cheapest place to start, butif it's something else, I'd love to hear about it before I jump into the steering column.
Thanks,
Garry

Old 02-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... This one got missed when it first came through... To the author (if you still check the boards), sounds to me like you have a bad ground somewhere in the dash. The two main grounds are under HVAC housing behind the glove box.

To Garry,
I don't have time to dig through wiring diagrams right now, but I should be able to find some wiring diagrams that will atleast give you some direction later on today.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Starting Member
Jimmysls98 is an unknown quantity at this point

since we got wiring goin on my 98 jimmy i here a sounf like my hatch wasnts to open it is really annoyin and my intermediate wipers do not always work and my override button does not overide everythin only th inside what can be wrong

Old 03-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Starting Member

Kyle,I'm going to put the flasher in tomorrow, so don't worry about digging through the diagrams until I post the results from changing the flasher (unless you really enjoy that sort of thing ).
Thanks...Garry

Old 03-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Garry, I don't know why my last post did not get posted, but you will need to replace your multifunction switch,just replacing the flasher will not fix this problem. It is really common on these S Series. HTH Korey.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:15 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

you will need to replace your multifunction switch,just replacing the flasher will not fix this problem. It is really common on these
DITTO!!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Starting Member

Thanks guys. I figured that was itafter a new flasher didn't fix things. At least the flasher was easy to change and now I have a spare.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:10 PM
98 Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Great board, folks.
Having the same problem with my wife's 98. Replaced the flasher with no results. Is the multifunction switch something that the dealer has to replace or can it be done at home. I assume that if the steering wheel has to be pulled, it needs to go to the dealer for repair because of the air bag system. Any info would be appreciated. I dont have a haynes or chiltons book because I have never been very fond of them, I prefer the factory manuals, but havent had the need for one until now.

Thanks,
Chris

1998 Blazer LS 180,000 miles and growing.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Starting Member

Chris. I didn't have to remove the steering wheel to replace my MF (kinda appropriate abbreviation, don't you think?) switch. There were two screws that threw me a curve:
1) There is one by the ignition lock cylinder that requires a female torx socket. For this one I had to reassemble everything and drive to Sears since this was the first torx socket I've ever needed.[:@]
2) The other one is why they say the steering wheel has to come off. (DISCONNECT BATTERY!!!!!!!!) One of the mounting screws for the MFS goes in right behind the steering wheel on the left side. It is a tight fit, buta short bit (like you would use in an electric screwdriver) will fit between the steering wheel and the screw head. Keep a finger on the end of the bit and turn it with an open end wrench, and out it should come.
It's not too bad of a job. There aretwo wires that come out of the switch's harness and loop over the steering column to a couple of places that are a tight fit. Stay patient and you'll get it done.