2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Blazer 4x4 VSS issues with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member
mlprus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99 Blazer 4x4 VSS issues with a twist

Ok, One night, a few months ago, we had a lightning storm in our area. The day of the storm, all systems on the blazer worked fine. The day after the storm, the speedometer became inop, and the transmission went into limp mode. I read previous posts on the forum (thank you) about the VSS sensor being the possible culprit for the issues. I had a used transfer case in the basement, from a transfer case swap a few years ago. I pulled the VSS from that case and installed it into my current case. Still no luck. I found info about troubleshooting, and test procedures, and performed the procedures. These are the results:
VSS circuit, pin 29-30, ohm: 1400 ohms, intermittent (had to mess with harnesses to get a reading. Original thought was wiring issue)
VSS circuit, pin 30-ground resistance: 030 ohms/13 ohms
VSS circuit continuity at VSS connector, key on: 11.64 volts

I still have to test AC voltage while manually spinning a drive wheel. Waiting for an extra hand to assist.
My original thought was, the lightning storm fried a computer..However, when I first checked VSS circuit resistance, it was infinite. When I jiggle the harness above the distributor, I get a reading. It has disappeared once again while testing, and another jiggle brought it back..Also, resistance fluctuates slightly while jiggling. So, that lead me to think there's a short to ground..However, with the VSS circuit voltage being out of spec at the VSS connector, I'm not so sure about that..
For now, is there anyone that can make sense of the data I have, and guide me in the right direction? Thank you very much

Last edited by mlprus; 10-12-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Rather odd that the ABS light didn't come on. The EBCM monitors WSS data, and the PCM monitors VSS data. If/when another module requests the data, it is shared through class II serial data. Find and fix the crappy connections and go from there.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 10-15-2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the reminder. ABS light had been on for a couple of months before the "VSS" issues. I chocked it up to bad WSS. The hubs aren't very old, but they're ebay cheapies.. Thank you for your reply. Thinking about running new wiring from the VCM, to the VSS. Anything specific I may need for repair, or otherwise replacing? I read a few things about the VSS wiring being shielded twisted pair, but the few places in the harness that I have it exposed do not seem to be that way. It appears as any other wiring in the harness..

Last edited by mlprus; 10-12-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Might want to check the EBCM for DTC's. The EBCM stores DTC's like all of the other modules, but it is the only one that runs a static and dynamic self test at each ignition cycle. You'll need a scan tool capable of accessing the ABS/EBCM, but it might just give you a clue where to look for the problem.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member

Unfortunately, that's where I hit the proverbial brick wall. I don't have a way to scan specific modules..unless I take the vehicle to a pro shop.
I beat myself every time I need to scan a module, and can't. Sort of hunting in the dark on that aspect. My Cadillac, on the other hand, has module scanning capabilities built into the HUD. Why can't they all be that user friendly? Lol

Old 10-12-2015, 07:48 PM

There's an Advance Auto parts store not far from you, and they probably stock the Actron ABS capable scanner. It's entry level, but it at least retrieves the DTC's. They might even have it on their tool loaner program.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I'll look into that. I don't know if I've noticed a scan tool on the loaner list before, but then again, I don't shop at advance very often. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member

No luck at Advance, or any local part stores. I luckily have a friend who has a scanner capable of reading ABS codes and such. So I borrowed it. So far, the only ABS code I have is C0225- Left fnt WSS CKT Open, or short. I don't feel like that has any play in my VSS issue. I was able to get some parameter readings from the trans etc., haven't started the engine and driven while reading.. But, standing still with key on, engine off, I have these readouts specifically:
Vehicle speed:0 mph
Trans ISS:0 RPM
Trans OSS:31.88 RPM
That's all I've looked at so far, standing still. Seems odd that the ISS doesn't match the OSS. Any input on that, or where/what I should look at next?
Again, thanks for your help.

Ok, Connected the scanner and read the data while driving.. The only WSS with data that changes is the right front. The left front, and rear values stay the same. Also, the trans ISS value doesn't change with vehicle movement. The value remains at 0 RPM.. The trans OSS value changed to: 0.38 RPM when the engine was running. No change with movement.

Engine running, vehicle stationary
LF WSS:2.99 MPH
RF WSS: 2.99 MPH
Rear WSS: 2.99 MPH
Trans ISS: 0.00 RPM'
Trans OSS: 0.38 RPM

Engine running, vehicle moving at varying speeds:
LF WSS: 2.99 MPH
RF WSS: Variable MPH
Rear WSS: 2.99 MPH
Trans ISS: 0.00 RPM
Trans OSS: 0.38 RPM

Last edited by mlprus; 10-14-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:03 PM

Well there ya go, nice work! Now you know where to look for a problem. With the intermittent stuff earlier, and now this, it sure sounds like a loose connection, or chaffed wire harness.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, thanks. I appreciate the help. I'll look into it. Could this be a ground issue? Also, Out of curiosity, if I were to replace the entire circuit, is there anything special about it? I remember reading that it is shielded, twisted pair. But, when I exposed different sections in the harness, it appeared like standard wiring..

Quick Reply: 99 Blazer 4x4 VSS issues with a twist