2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ac Orifice tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, common mistake when rookies use the cheap quality quick connect couplers. The "good" couplers have a threaded **** on the back end. After you click it on the fitting, slowly tighten the **** just enough to open the shrader valve. When you replace your valve, make sure you get one that is rated for A/C. Tire shraders will not work.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Lanny, 40 ounces is too much and it will not cool properly. You don't have to worry about damaging anything, but it won't get as cold as it should. The standard size can is 12 ozs, plus one 20 ounce, and you'll be spot on perfect...as long as you evacuate it.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 AM
Lanny is on a distinguished road

Oh I havent added any yet capt, I got the 2 20s to ensure a lil left over, I think i have a little leak in the condensor, ill be adding dye with the refrigerant so hopfully i can pin point it,
but anyway the extra 8 oz is to keep me up to level should i be right about the leak....and if i am right , ill most likely wait till winter to fix it lolo..

Old 08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Beginning Member
hace1 is on a distinguished road

does anyone know where the orifice tube is placed?
The car is a 1998 4,3 liter 4wd.
Thanks!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 PM

The orifice is inside the inlet tube of the evaporator. It is located directly under the accumulator where the high pressure liquid line connects to the evaporator. Discharge the system, hold the hex on the evaporator fitting with a 20mm open end wrench, loosen the nut on the line, remove the line from the fitting, remove the orifice tube from the evaporator inlet tube. Lubricate the O ring with PAG 150 oil before installing the orifice tube.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

i need to replace mine as well but as for ac u need 1 pound 12 ounces for the ac134 a

Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM

You also need to evacuate the system for at least 1 hour before charging. Draining the system does not remove everything. If you recharge without evacuating first, the system will be overcharged which can cause poor performance, damage the compressor, blow lines, etc etc.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Starting Member
pinkpout49 is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Captain Hook

Wish I knew more. Have a 2001 Chevy blazer Lt. Seems the orifice is clogged which means I need to get a mechanic. Or it could just be something else hopefully. A/c compressor clicking and shutting off and on. But only blowing semi cool air after adding a can of 134-a to the system. Any suggestions.Thanks

Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by pinkpout49
...A/C compressor clicking and shutting off and on. But only blowing semi cool air after adding a can of 134-a to the system. Any suggestions.Thanks
In most situations, the clutch is supposed to cycle on and off. The rate at which it cycles is determined by several factors. Typically, what you're describing indicates the system could be low on refrigerant, which means there is a leak that needs to be repaired. When a system leaks refrigerant, it also leaks oil, so the oil level must be checked before charging. With older AC systems, (~1981 and older) there was a sight glass in the high side liquid line that was used for checking the refrigerant level. Unfortunately, the newer clutch cycling systems do not have a sight glass. The only way to know how much refrigerant is in the system is to completely drain it, and evacuate it, then recharge it with the proper amount. If the system is over charged with refrigerant or oil, performance will be poor and you'll run the risk of blowing a line, compressor head gasket, condenser, evaporator etc. If the system is under charged with refrigerant, performance will be poor. If it's under charged with oil, the compressor could be destroyed. Charging the system using the small cans is not accurate enough to get good performance from the system, not to mention they are extremely dangerous. If you are not properly trained in HVAC, and have the appropriate equipment to diagnose and repair it, it's best to take it to someone that is qualified.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM
spittybays

Hey Chuck, after grinding away at my ac last year, just checked working, knock laminate, I was wondering? Did you ever fit a site glass to one of these?

By the way defrost worked all winter.

Never had any luck with the VOV's , tried two from two sources both just locked and froze the system. Might be cause mine is a 1995 with the old compressor. If anyone has that stay away from them. El cheeps at three bucks work best for the Harrisons.

Do not overfill!!! More is not better!

Armatures use weight of refrigerant!

You will have much more success.

A/C guys know much more about pressures then we can ever hope to learn on YouTube.

TRUST ME!!!

Oh ya search my posts on A/C could save a lot of grief I went trough, there was another guy also at around the same time. He was convinced every mechanic was out to get him, personally, do not do anything he did. Wish I could remember his name.
Dropped off the planet!

Quick Reply: Ac Orifice tube