2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Advice on random startup problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Beginning Member
rickyp3278 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on random startup problems

2002 Blazer LS 4wd problem began about a month ago.....

Went to the movies, came out afterwards, and the keyfob wouldn't work. So, I used the key, got inside, and no interior light came on. Put the key in the ignition, car wouldn't turn over or anything, and even worse, the key would not come out of the ignition. This has NEVER happened before. Tried it a few times, and nothing. Next, I popped the hood, took a look around for a second, and when I removed the bar that holds the hood up so I could shut the hood, all the lights came on and it was ready to start. Started up fine, ran fine. This has happened a couple of times, and usually it just involves shutting the door a couple times, or popping and shutting the hood and it'll be ready to start. This morning, it did it again. I tried opening/ shutting the drivers side door, as well as the hood, with no success. I went in the garage, got a wrench, and loosened the positive battery terminal, to see if it was a loose connection. Still nothing. removed both battery cables, installed the positive, then the negative, and after a second, the lights and radio came on, then off again. Then, I wiggled the negative cable for a few seconds, and everything came back on, and it started up fine. It usually is a problem when the car has been sitting for a couple hours, or overnight, but not always, because last weekend I was out of town for 3 days, and when I came back, it started right up.

I'm assuming it could be a short somewhere? There was a tiny bit of corrosion on the negative battery cable, but just barely. I cleaned it off, and we'll see what happens.

On a side note, this all began last month after I had a catalytic converter replaced, as well as the battery replaced. It could be coincidence, or it could be related. Also, in the past month, the Air Bag light started coming on randomly. I'll start the truck up, it will come on, and stay on for a bit, then go out. Or, it'll come on after driving for a couple minutes, then blink, then go out. I've owned the truck since 2005 when I bought it from a friend with 60,000 miles. It now has almost 200,000 miles (I'd like to say trouble free miles, but it has had its issues). The vehicle has never been in any kind of motor vehicle accident, and this is a brand new problem.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'd check the other end of the neg, the pos at the starter & the other wires there, all the grounds like body to frame, engine to frame/firewall & last but not least take the pos off, un do the bolts & lift the fuse panel under the hood & look for loose wires/ground under there. You may get lucky & see just the pos that hooks up to it is loose & that's just under the plastic cover on my 2002.

As for the key if/when that happens on my 2002 there is a small hole 1/4" under the steering column you can push a small bolt or whatever in & it releases the key.
It could be the gear selector switch. It has a micro switch (console models) that tells the truck it's in park & releases the key.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Starting Member
mrspeedy69 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was doing something like this a while back. There was no corrosion on the terminals or anything but I replaced them and haven't had the problem since. You might try that, they are cheap.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Beginning Member
ooo.patrick is on a distinguished road

Same thing happened to me, the solution to my problem was cleaning the battery terminals.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM
mychevyisntheavy is on a distinguished road

could have gottin a bad battery or the cables could be bad to. might need to replace them all. i`d do a ohms test on the cable to check the restance, check the battery on a load tester.