2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Air Horn Mounting Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:34 PM
clutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Horn Mounting Question

I have a 2001 blazer s10 V6. I was given a air horn setup for xmas and I'm trying to do a little research to figure out the best place to mount it. The horn bundle is 16" wide across the flares, 13" tall from base plate to the top of the tallest flare, and 20" long from flare to the end of the caps.

I will be mounting the compressor and air tank inside the car and will run the hose under the body to wherever I mount the horns.

These things are LOUD and I'd prefer to have them mounted somewhere in front of me but my options are pretty slim from what I've casually been able to see. There seems to be some space on the body of the blazer under the drivers seat where I might be able to mount them. But what really looked interesting was up front under the radiator/front bumper theres a plastic or sheet metal cover (looks like the radiator is about 6 inches above that. Just curious - what's under there? Any chance I'll have room to mount my horns there?

Other then that - any suggestions on a mounting location would greatly be appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4911/CE1AB1BEF7E84C94B8953AD063C0ECED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2006, 09:43 PM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Air Horn Mounting Question

i've seen some people mount them on the cargo rails on top. but then again, i've also seen them mounted on the hood.[&:]

is it three separate horns or do you have to mount them all in the exact same spot? can they be mounted in separately?

Old 12-31-2006, 09:50 PM

I don't really want to mount them where they can be seen. Thats a last option for me (if I had to do that I would build a box for them and mount it on the roof with some sound proofing between the box and the roof).

This setup cannot be easily seperated. It would require some cutting and welding. I can put them under the drivers seat and use horn lense covers they make to keep rocks and stuff out of them. I'm just trying to push them a little farther forward.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:55 PM

it's kinda hard to find a place, everything is cramped. maybe try right behind the bumper. or you might be able to take the wiper fluid resevoir out and mount them there, it'd be a tight fit if they would even fit.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 PM

Yeah.. I have a old 68 muscle car that I restored and I could mount a full band under the hood of that beast. Trying to find a place on this thing has me scratching my head a little bit. Probably need to hit the library and see if I can find a service manual for this year/model (unless theres one online someone knows about) and see whats going on under the car to give me ideas on mounting.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:08 PM

http://dodgeram.info/tech/mods/AirHorn/index.html

This guy has a pretty detailed installation for his setup. Everything about his setup is smaller then what I'm installing though.

http://istargazer.ca/mods_exterior_airhorn.htm
http://istargazer.ca/images/airhorn/airhorntest.jpg

Old 12-31-2006, 10:11 PM

fixin ter go out ther and see what might be a good spot.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:14 PM

lol - not that important.. :-) I'll get it up on a rack and will find somewhere to tuck it away. Just figured I'd ask here - has to be someone running a similar setup.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:18 PM

on my 96 behind the front bumper right below the radiator would be the best spot cuz there's a pretty good amount of space.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:24 PM

Thanks for looking - That's definitely plan A. I'm mounting the 3 gallon air tank and compressor where my internal spare mount bracket is. The compressor is supposed to be very quiet, if it's not -it's not that big and will be relocated somewhere else. Spare is now mounted on the roof. I'll take a couple pics and will post them with instructions if I manage to get this hooked up and working.

Quick Reply: Air Horn Mounting Question