2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Airbag light & Windsheil Wipers PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Beginning Member
aaronjohn20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Airbag light & Windsheil Wipers PLEASE HELP

I have a 1998 Blazer S10, 4.3, Auto, 4x4, 4 dr. Here's my problem, the airbag light just started flashing when i was driving down the road? and, The windsheild wipers only work when they want. Sometimes they'll work fine, sometimes they'll only work on high, and sometimes they don't work at all. Anyone know what could be going on with these 2 things. I know i'll probably need to take it to the shop for the ABS.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Airbag light & Windsheil Wipers PLEASE HELP

Where did your ABS come into play?

Is your air bag light flashing or your abs light flashing...

Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry bout that, the Abs light is on but i'm not worried about that i'm worried about the Airbag light. The airbag light is flashing.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Airbag light could be on due to the ABS system mailfunction, but they may be two unrelated problems. To read the codes from either of these systems, you will need a full function scan tool (i.e. not Autozone or Advanced).

As far as the windsheild wipers, check out the cold solder fix in the DIY section --> CLICK HERE

Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Beginning Member

the airbag light started to come on about a month after the abs light so i think that's 2 different problems. i have a friend that works in a shop so i can have him run the diagnostics on them. As for the wipers, does my problem sound pretty typical with the solder problem you desribed in the diy

Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: aaronjohn20
As for the wipers, does my problem sound pretty typical with the solder problem you desribed in the diy
Yes, a lot of us have experienced this problem of the wipers seeming to have their own mind. Mine did it for a while but started working normally again. For how long I have no idea, but at least I know what to do next time they whack out.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the help I'll look into the soldering problem ASAP. How do i heat the solder up? Can i just use a lighter if i'm careful not to burn anything else

Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

oh dear....no...no you cant.

get a soldering iron.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

oh dear....no...no you cant.

get a soldering iron.
x2! You can pick up a cheap soldering pencil for like $15 that will work just fine for this repair.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Wolfpack is right. Soldering irons are cheap at Radioshack or hobby stores. Get a soldering iron, not a soldering gun. Solder guns have a lot of leakage voltage floating around on the tip and shouldn't be used for electronics (they can send an unwanted and potentially damaging voltage into the ciruit you're heating up - plus soldering irons are cheaper). Also, do not use the ColdHeat iron on electronics either. We did a test of them here at work and they are worse than soldering guns as far as injecting unwanted voltages into your board.
While you're buying the iron, get a small roll of solder. A dry soldering iron tip is horrible at transferring heat to the solder connection you're trying to melt, but if you put just a tiny dab of solder on the tip before you touch the solder to the connection it will reflow almost instantly. The longer you keep heat on a connection, the higher the risk of separating the circuitry from the circuit board and causing permanent damage.

**I just checked RadioShack's web site. They have a 5 piece soldering iron kit for $7.99. Includes the iron, a stand,and the solder, plus a couple other gizmos you won't need.

beat me to it Kyle!

Quick Reply: Airbag light & Windsheil Wipers PLEASE HELP