2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bad smell from ac ??? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Beginning Member
4x4Eddie is on a distinguished road
Default Bad smell from ac ??? Please help

So everytime I turn my ac on after the car has been siting for an hour or so, I'm getting this smell that's coming out of the ac, smells like old stagnant water and I cant figure out how to get rid of it, I've even put alot more things in the car to make it smell better but nothin, what could be the problem with that nasty smell, and does my truck have a cabin air filter or mesh to catch the debris from falling into the ac system.

Last edited by 4x4Eddie; 08-25-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4x4Eddie
...does my truck have a cabin air filter...
No.

Originally Posted by 4x4Eddie
...or mesh to catch the debris from falling into the ac system?
Yes, under the windshield wipers and hood cowl.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Beginning Member

Also where would the mess be coming from? And how can I get rid of it?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:16 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Coming from outside, maybe parking it under a tree & leaves falling, getting blown into the mesh & then water = nasty.
Take a look where the mesh is & a way to remove it to clean it.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Check the condensate drain on the bottom of the evaporator housing, it might be partially restricted not allowing all of the water out. From under the vehicle, the drain tube is located on the bottom of the black plastic evaporator housing. Use a plastic drinking straw to clear the tube out. Do not use anything metal as it could puncture the evaporator. If you can't get all of the water out, you'll need to either remove the evaporator, (big job) or the heater housing, (also big job) and clean it out.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Beginning Member
viper1ex19 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Check the condensate drain on the bottom of the evaporator housing, it might be partially restricted not allowing all of the water out. From under the vehicle, the drain tube is located on the bottom of the black plastic evaporator housing. Use a plastic drinking straw to clear the tube out. Do not use anything metal as it could puncture the evaporator. If you can't get all of the water out, you'll need to either remove the evaporator, (big job) or the heater housing, (also big job) and clean it out.

Captain Hook strikes again,,, lol

Your response was my thoughts exactly, I just went through this with a vehicle I drive at work (2000 Silverado).
The Condensation Drain was clogged and the water sitting in the duct work caused >> "MOLD/MILDEW" inside the duct work and it had to be removed from the truck and bleached out.

I could smell it for quite a while until I noticed Bad Headaches after driving it. I went to the doctor and he said I had a sinus infection consistent with Mold or Mildew and I knew exactly what caused it.

Good Luck, I hope you don’t have small children riding in that truck with you, if so keep the windows down until you get it cleaned out or it will make them sick.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Beginning Member

Im gonna check that out ASAP but right now were are in the process of getting hit with hurricane isaac so i cant really do much lol, And the evaporator housing at, is that the huge black box under the hood?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:39 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

I can remember from when I was younger being told after having the ac on to turn on just the face vents on blast for a couple of seconds then shut off the car to keep the moisture from the ac from causing the smell.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 05BlackJimmy
I can remember from when I was younger being told after having the ac on to turn on just the face vents on blast for a couple of seconds then shut off the car to keep the moisture from the ac from causing the smell.
Someone was pullin' your leg on that one Operating the blower, at any speed, in any mode switch position, has absolutely nothing to do with condensation accumulating in the evaporator housing. If the drain is restricted, condensation will accumulate below the evaporator. Sometimes it will overflow and drain onto the carpet by the passengers feet. It can also get blown out of the registers as a mist. In either case, cleaning out the drain cures the problem. If the water is allowed to sit in the evaporator housing, it will cause mold & mildew which stinks and can also be a health issue, as viper1ex19 mentioned.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Starting Member
Jase1979 is on a distinguished road

X2 Captain Hook on where the smell is coming from, and how to fix it, once the drain is clear you can use a WURTH A/C mold and mildew remover to help kill the nasty stuff growing in there, basicly it is a disinfectant aerosol grenade you set off in the vehicle I use one of my wife's car every year and it works awesome best $15 I could ever spend