2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Which bearings are decent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Shalom is on a distinguished road
Default Which bearings are decent?

1999 Blazer, 2 door, 4WD. Needs new front right bearing/hub assembly. (We just replaced the left side a month ago, and the mechanic told me to expect the other one to go out soon, and now it has.) The first one was sourced from amazon.com and made by Timken, which cost me $92.50 or so. Now I'm looking to buy the other one, and I found that amazon also stocks a couple that are much less expensive: there's one from Precision Automotive Industries, which appears to be a remanufacturer in Malaysia, for $42.50, and another from Power Train Components for $51.14. (There are also a few that are quite a bit higher as well, e.g. Bower/BCA for $196.19.)

So the question is, basically, can those low-ball vendors be trusted? I know Timken is a good name, but I never heard of these other guys. Is it worth spending twice the money for essentially the same part? (or in other words, if I buy the cheap one, am I going to have to replace it again in another year?) Anyone have experience with these two builders?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I've heard really good things about Timken's. I put AC Delco in mine and haven't had any issues.
Keep in mine auto parts are not the type of thing you want to go cheap on and put the no-name china parts in. Spend the few extra bucks and put a trusted well built part in like Timken. I've learned the hard way many times that cheap parts for vehicles suck and you'll end up kicking yourself later when they fail after very little miles. I say go with the Timken.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Shalom is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
I've heard really good things about Timken's. I put AC Delco in mine and haven't had any issues.
Keep in mine auto parts are not the type of thing you want to go cheap on and put the no-name china parts in. Spend the few extra bucks and put a trusted well built part in like Timken. I've learned the hard way many times that cheap parts for vehicles suck and you'll end up kicking yourself later when they fail after very little miles. I say go with the Timken.
You know, my mechanic said exactly the same thing, in almost identical language (except a bit more profane) when I asked him the same question.

So I ordered the Timken part. amazon.com said it would take 4-5 business days, but one of their sub-vendors (StockWiseAuto) had it in stock, so I ordered it from them. Turns out their warehouse is 15 minutes from where I live, so I'm gonna drive over there tomorrow and pick it up...

Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Beginning Member
BLOND1WD is an unknown quantity at this point

I manage a Parts Plus down here in Colorado and we sell the Precision line as well. I do not put cheap parts on my Blaze, and being in this biz 12 yrs I've learned inexpensive does not always mean "cheap". I recently put the Precision hub bearings on my 97 and am very pleased.