General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Decent deal for this Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decent deal for this Blazer?

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/2099162921.html

I am in the process of selling the 92 Blazer I recently bought. It isn't quite the vehicle I can depend on and daily drive for a few years to come. Have had problems with the 4wd not working and just want to get into something nicer.

I came across the linked Blazer above on CL today. I called the guy about it and he said it is in real nice shape, has new tires, and everything works like it should. He is 65 years old and getting out of the car business and his dealership license is up at the end of this month and he needs to get rid of 10 cars. Figured I could get a decent deal on this one because of that.

I live about an hour away from the dealership it is at and he said he would drive it to me and show the truck. He is going to meet me after work on Friday so I can check it out. What do you guys think would be a fair price to offer on it? I figured if I could score it for $2500 or so that would be a pretty decent deal, no? Anything in particular I should look for on the 2nd Gen Blazers? I know my way around an engine bay pretty well (built up my 2000 SS Camaro that I had) so I know the usual things to check out. Just wanted some pointers from some of the residential 2nd Gen experts.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

with the age and mileage I would probably wouldn't pay more than 2500$

Old 12-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Starting Member

That's what I was thinking too. I need to find something less than $3000 and to find a nice 4wd Blazer/Jimmy around this area under $3000 with decent mileage is hard to do.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Starting Member
97CountryJukeboxLt is on a distinguished road

It sounds good to me, check for minor scrapes or other colors of paint (maybe it's hit something, maybe it's been repainted.. or had body work done) how does it crank? right away or is it delayed a little bit?, do your guages read, and how much oil and/or brake fluid is in it, does the mileage seem right to what he tells you about it?, carfax it, just a basic visual inspection, we bought mine only a couple years old from my grandma in perfect condition, it only has 105k for a 97 (we've gone through two trannys, an a/c compressor, 2 sets of brakes, etc)

Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Mighty Mouse is on a distinguished road

I just picked up my 96 for $2500. It has 25k less miles and is really clean and looks like it was well cared for. It is fully loaded with tan leather. Right now is a bad time for car sales and if he is a dealer he knows it so you might be able to hammer on him a bit and get it for less then $2500. The dealer I got mine at wanted $3995 for it and I beat him up till I got it for $2500. 2 things that will help is have the cash in hand so they know your not playing and the holidays suck for most car sales. Don't be afraid to lowball him. If you like it and really want it then start low and go from there but make sure you have cash in hand.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Yeah 2500 would be my top price also. Start honestly, I've done this with both of my vehicles. When I showed up to buy I showed up with cash. For my Blazer they were asking 6k (32,000 miles on a 2002). I pulled out 4.5k in cash, almost had them there, and went to 5. So I say show up with 2k and see what happens.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Starting Member

Thanks all. I will make sure to bring the cash with me. I was thinking of offering $2200 for it and see if he bites. That's not too much off the asking price and is $300 less than what I would settle on. I will make sure everything checks out ok, and give it a good look over.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Oh, and after your test drive, let it run for 5 minutes in park and see what the coolant level does. That will tell you if the fan clutch and cooling system are all in check.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Starting Member

Well I looked at the Blazer yesterday. Wasn't quite what I was expecting. First thing I noticed is that there were a couple of small rust spots on the rocker panel. The left side of the back bumper was a little crumpled in and some paint was missing. There were some other scratches on it but nothing serious.

The interior was pretty clean for a 96. Nothing out of the ordinary. Didn't like the fact that there was no tach on the instrument cluster though.

When I backed out of the parking spot and put it in drive it seemed delayed a little. I actually hit the gas quicker than the transmission shifted into drive because of this. Not sure what was going on there but I am not about to deal with trans issues. Other than that it ran and drove great. A/C wouldn't kick on though. He was going to look into it.

Also, does anyone live in the Kansas City or Omaha area?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/2105319308.html - This one has a salvage title the guy said. Body is rust free, and said interior is real clean. I guess it had the passenger fender and door replaced. Not sure if I want a salvaged title vehicle though.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/2105646636.html - This one looks decent too, but kinda far for me to drive and be disappointed.

Last edited by Longer02; 12-11-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

that 99 looks good. the 2000 looks good to but a salvage title...

Quick Reply: Decent deal for this Blazer?