2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Belt noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:10 PM
curly2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Belt noise

I need help with the noise from my fan belt on the 2000 Blazer. When the weather is damp or the belt gets wet, it makes a terrible noise that drives me nuts. Any ideas????
Thanks,
Curly

Old 05-27-2005, 12:57 AM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Belt noise

yeah i had the same prob on my previous car.... first if you havent checked the belt for ware then do that then if it isnt worn go to the auto parts store and pick yourself up a can of belt dressing .. should take care of the prob good luck

Old 05-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

i personally don't like the belt dressing. instead, i just hit it with a wire brush to take the shine off the smooth side of the belt. thats what we do at the dealership i work at. just another option.

Old 05-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same issue on my 2000 Bravada. The squealling belt is now in the box in the back for emergency use (along with an 18" 3/8 breaker bar) and a new Goodyear Gatorback belt is on the motor. No more noise of any kind from the gatorback!

I too am against belt dressing. It may quiet the belt, but it does so by softening the rubber in the belt and will dramatically reduce the life of the belt. If you wanted a quick way to roughen up the back surface of the belt, just get some sand paper (sanding screen works best) and cut it into a strip (the long way) the width of the belt. With the engine running, take the section of sanding paper and hold it with a hand at either end. Lay the center of the paper against the belt with some light pressure. Just enough to roughen the back of the belt. Be aware that if done incorrectly, you could screw yourself up... So BE CAREFUL!

Old 05-30-2005, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the responses! I have tried the belt dressing and it does not last long and the noise comes back worse and the pulleys are all sticky. I will try the gatorback belt and the sandpaper remedy. Mostly the noise happens only when it is raining out or water gets on the belt.
Thanks,
Curly

Old 05-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you replace the belt with a gatorback, you won't need to use any sand paper on it.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:22 PM

Yeah the gatorbelt will do the trick. Thanks again.
Curly

Old 05-31-2005, 09:59 PM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

those sound like better ideas .....i have never heard of them to tell you truth thats why i said the belt dressing.....

Old 05-31-2005, 11:02 PM
V6 Vortec Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

If is a squeeking noise and it a real bad noise and sounds like ****. Then replace the belt that what i did. I thought mine was a bad bearing, then had a bad pully and all this **** i had a bran new belt on there though it was a $55 gator belt i went to advanced auto parts and bought me a 20 dollar belt and it doesnt make it since for like a month now

Old 05-31-2005, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Wherever you bought a belt for $55 plain stole your money.

The gatorback belt is available from Autozone for $25 w/ AC p/n 4060952 & w/o AC p/n 4060872 same price for both.
Another good belt would be the dayco's available from Advanced Auto for $35 w/ AC p/n is 5060950 & $25 w/o AC p/n 5060870

Both of these belts are great. I run a gatorback belt for my supercharger on my bonneville. Made the belts silent after replacing what looked to be good belts that would squeal some in the wet.

Quick Reply: Belt noise