2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Best FIX IT book

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:25 AM
57chevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best FIX IT book

Would like to know which is the best all around FIX IT book. Chilton, Clymer, or ??? Need to get one for my 2002 Blazer, S-10, 4x4, 4.3, Auto. Am working on trying to get this beast running and have the trottle body off and the pleum? intake is ready to take off to replace the fule pressure regulator, but don't know how to get the fuel lines off and what the toques are to put it together and, and, and,....... Just wnat to get a good book to help me beside all the GREAT help I get here. Thanks

Old 03-20-2006, 03:16 AM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Best FIX IT book

don't know if it's the best but I have the Haynes#24071 and though I've found a couple times where it wasn't clear due to the different 4.3s and it also covers s10 4cylinders but as a whole its helped me out greatly. And its only 17bucks @ autozone. Also it makes for great bathroom literature when theres not a repair to be done.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member
Johnnyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Helm is the best. You need two, one for emission/electrical & one for general service. They are expensive around $80.00 ea. But well worth it if your going to keep the vehicle for any length of time & you do your own repairs. wwwhelminc.com Otherwise alot of guys use aldata,(also very good) but it requires a yearly subscripton. The Helm manuals are like factory manuals, vehicle specific to the year & make. Great manuals.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:11 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Call me crazy, however all I have ever used is Haynes manuals. Yep the cheap $15 book. Granted they aren't the best and leave a lot to be desired, but they cover the basics pretty well. Including some indepth stuff, like engine rebuilds.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I keep an AllDataDIY account for every vehicle that I work on (families vehicles included). I usually only update my families vehicles right before I need to work on them again which saves them money, but because I always keep up-to-date subscriptions on all of my vehicles (Bravada & Bonneville), it always costs them the same $15. But I also have wireless internet and a wireless laptop that is pretty much garage only use (rugged old Dell Latitude CPi - LOL) to take advantage of the internet information.

I also have a Haynes manual for each vehicle and a Helm FSM for my Bonneville. I purchased the FSM from eBay right after I bought the Bonneville and have been looking for a FSM for my Bravada on eBay as well. It's pretty steep to buy them from Helm direct.

I have a GM Service DVD as well that contains wiring diagrams, TSBs, Notices, trouble shooting guides, and other indepth information for drivetrain, transmission, and engine. The only downside of this DVD is that it takes up a HUGE amount of HD space on your computer.

I like having various different options for comparison. The repair instructions are very rarely the same and many times you can muddle the different sources into one quicker/easier repair job.

Tim, I kinda forgot about sending that DVD to you. I have it in a package all ready for your address and everything. If you PM me your information, I'll get it sent out today (hopefully - so long as I have the info before the PO closes)... Let me know!

Old 03-22-2006, 03:53 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thansk man!!!!!

I thought you stiffed me. j/k. I also completely forgot about it. By time you read this, pm should be sent.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wanna get a haynes manual, but haven't seen one at my local auto parts store that is specific to my truck. Would i be wrong to assume that the S-10 pickup manual would be ok to use with my blaze? Thanks. btw, it's plenum.

EDIT: I got the s-10 one. My god were you right about this being good bathroom material. Probably the best.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here isan E-Bay site that deals in just full service manuals and are reasonably priced.

http://stores.ebay.com/Ken-McGee-Auto-Literature

You can also e-mail them if you do not see what you want.
kenmcgeebooks@hurontel.on.ca

Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
candycane184 is an unknown quantity at this point

I picked up my Haynes 24071 at DieselGalaxy. Here's the link: http://dieselgalaxy.com/product.php?productid=47482?tw2

Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Call me crazy, however all I have ever used is Haynes manuals. Yep the cheap $15 book. Granted they aren't the best and leave a lot to be desired, but they cover the basics pretty well. Including some indepth stuff, like engine rebuilds.
and yes the manul covers s-10, blazer, sonoma, bravada, and a couple more, since most of these trucks are very similar(almost same expect for a few things, correct me if im wrong)
i have one, it deffeinty helps with the small things, but theres alot of stuff not there, like pannel removels(not door but the ones near the back below the two windows)
i mean that and it dosent tell me what those black things are in the back of the truck that you see when you lift the tailgate

the hanyes manules i think should be an option to get when you buy the truck, case its teachs u alot of basic things like light removel, and the reg manul has much to be desired
i got mine from pepboys for like $16 btw