2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Broken Motor Mounts...Again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough
Default Broken Motor Mounts...Again!

I need to upgrade my motor mounts on my '96 Blazer. I just found I have torn apart a second set within 3 months. I need tougher! Any off the shelf options?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

welcome to 4.3 LOL. you can either spend 100 or so each on oem (which is the best imo they have lasted you 15 or so years) or get some polyurethane mounts. if you go poly you'll feel some vibration,but YOU WONT have any break issues period.

up to you. aftermarket mounts suck. ive broke so many lol

Old 10-08-2013, 02:02 AM

The stock ones did well, for sure, far better than the aftermarket ones that only lasted me 5 weeks. I was thinking of poly mounts, but they're expensive, and I'm cheap. Might have to whip out the welder and start fabbing...

Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Diaita
Might have to whip out the welder and start fabbing...
IMO this is the best option. That's what I'll be doing once the trucks are out of the garage for winter.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Ive run the 2.8 mounts with JTR conversion brackets on both my trucks now. They're a rubber clam-shell style mount that wont tear apart like the crappy bonded mounts our trucks come with stock. They vib a little bit more then the stock mounts but they wont rattle your teeth out like poly "upgrades".

Edit: Look here http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...entMounts.html

Probably be pretty easy to fab up something similar to swap to the 2.8 mounts

Last edited by KM346; 10-08-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM

I think I'm getting old. For the price they can send me the brackets for, I just bought them from jagsthatrun. Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you posted on the install when they get here.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

diata use energy suspension mounts they are worth the upgrade and take a lot of abuse from flex to hauling cargo. I used aftermarket rubber mounts took me 8 hours for one side as I couldn't reach the bottom bolt with my hands. the urethane ones are far faster to install and can handle the abuse and wont break or rott. they also don't give off any vibration a tinyyy little but but not what ppl claim. also upgrade the transmission mount as well it will work in function

Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 AM

I kinda took both suggestions, I have a set of the 2.8 poly mounts from my old 350 s10 i did years ago, and I ordered the brackets from JTR to use them in my Blazer.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Alright, so I have upgraded the motor mounts using the JTR parts. It wasn't a direct bolt in for sure, the brackets bolt to the engine just fine, but the 2.8 mounts did not bolt to the frame. By the time I was done, I had to re-drill or clearance holes on both sides. The drivers side is a different bolt pattern from the passenger side. Once i did get them in, the engine sat too low and the passenger side manifold collector contacts the top of the frame rail, so I had to install a 3/8" spacer plate to avoid contact. It would be a serious PITA if the IFS parts were still there.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:42 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Hmm that's weird. I never had any issues with engine sitting lower... They do have a ton of adjustability so i spent some time getting the engine centered before i snugged them up... I opened the holes up on my 01 on the passenger side, but always figured i just got a mount that was drilled wrong. On my 97 i didnt touch a thing... just bolted up. Wonder if the aftermarket mounts are a little different or something???

Quick Reply: Broken Motor Mounts...Again!