2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Compressor - Change at Home?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 AM
jrmst50 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Compressor - Change at Home?

I need to change the AC compressor on my 2002 blazer. Mechanically, it seems easy enough to change since its right on top with good access. However, I don't have any equipment to capture the refrigerant, to pull vacuum through the lines, or to repressurize the system to add new refrigerant.

Is there a way to do this at home or would it be best to take it to a shop? Are there any dangers (to the system) by doing this at home? Nothing else is wrong with the ac system. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

There is no way to do this properly without tools for that procedure. You didnt say WHY you want to change the compressor.
If it's because of clutch/bearing, it's better to just change those. If the compressor failed, then there's a whole different thing. If you do it yourself it is a huge crapshoot and one of those 'pay me now or pay me later' things. That system doesnt tolerate any contaminates well, and that includes air. Done right by someone who knows the system, it's reliable as any other system, and more reliable than the fuel sys, for example.
First rule of AC though... anytime you change compressor you change the accumulator / drier

Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
slowsinglecam is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
First rule of AC though... anytime you change compressor you change the accumulator / drier
X2 Cause if it did fail it would of put shards of metal in the system.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

R34a doesn't require it to be captured. It is frowned upon just letting it go tho.

The compressor just unbolts and is easy enough. You have to add the correct oil in it and pull a vacuum. I used a pump made from an old fridge for years and just a few weeks ago bought a 3cfm pump from harbor freight.

The orifice tube is what acts as a filter. The accumulator/dryer has desiccant pellets in it to remove the moisture trapped in the oil pulling vacuum doesn't get rid of. Once a leak starts and air gets in they do their job and get wasted fast. Both orifice tube and accumulator have to be replaced any time the system is cracked open.

Its an easy diy job if you know what you are doing. I just fixed a bad compressor on a ford taurus (nowhere easy) and a chevy van this week for my parents. The hardest part on the taurus was just removing the 40lbs of crap in the 5lb engine bay to get to it.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member
fiferguy is on a distinguished road

I just did this with my 2000 Blazer. You have to collect the 134a out of the system, then you can pull the compressor. Remember any time you open the freon system that you have to replace the accumulator and expansion device as well. But overall putting a new compressor in is very simple--if you have the right equipment.

Be VERY careful with venting it into the air. That is illegal if you live in the United States. Frequently Asked Questions on Section 608 | Ozone Layer Protection - Regulatory Programs | US EPA

Last edited by fiferguy; 05-29-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:10 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

^^^^^ what he said, you need a lic to handle, work with and purchase 134a. the best thing yu can do is take it a shop to get the system evacuated than take it home replace the parts that need repair than take it back and get the system vacuumed and checked for leaks if all checks out get them to charge the system and all should be fine.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
ctyler is on a distinguished road

Depends on where you live, most places in the US do not require a license to buy R134a.

JRMST50....Yes you can ablsolutely do this yourself if you know how and have vacuum pump or alternative and recover it yourself to an old freon tank.

I assume you don't have any of that so the ideal situation for you is that your system is dead. I.E. its all leaked out already so there is nothing to recover. Then you can just open the system and replace the parts. Making sure your pour some new oil as directed into the new compressor and spin it around. Then take it to a shop to pull the vacuum add the rest of the oil and refrigerant. Will save you some bucks.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:08 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought a can of 134A at Big Lots for 8 bucks. no license required. But, I do believe yrs ago it was. And I still believe it is for Home A/C units and they use the 134A, and ice boxs use 134A now also, but they have a differernt end so a standard one you use on a car will not fit other wise fill her up.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

must be nice, in canada you need a lic for just about everything to do with any sort of gas!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
jrmst50 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
There is no way to do this properly without tools for that procedure. You didnt say WHY you want to change the compressor.
If it's because of clutch/bearing, it's better to just change those. If the compressor failed, then there's a whole different thing. If you do it yourself it is a huge crapshoot and one of those 'pay me now or pay me later' things. That system doesnt tolerate any contaminates well, and that includes air. Done right by someone who knows the system, it's reliable as any other system, and more reliable than the fuel sys, for example.
At, first I thought it was just the clutch/bearing. I changed those, and it worked fine for a few days. Then, when the magnet engaged, it pulled the face plate to the compressor but didn't turn the compressor. It just spun against the compressor face plate. This leads me to believe that the compressor itself needs replaced.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor - Change at Home?