2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

a/c issue, can I adjust the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member
sporty982000 is on a distinguished road
Default a/c issue, can I adjust the clutch

1995 chevy blazer, 4.3 l, 4 door.

I got this blazer few weeks ago.

Today I decided to try and get the a/c going, was low on freon.

read some previous, old posts.

and got the info I needed to process and autozone was a great help to me.

so, long story short.

got my freon to 34 psi, did not seem to want to take any more. ? any thoughts on this ?

Now the real issue, is I have to lightly tap on the a/c clutch before it starts working.

was hoping I will not have to replace the clutch on it.

I read a old post, about you can adjust them some. this old post talked about a issue of it grinding/ rubbing when engaged and making sure the gap was right to resolve issue.

But can you adjust so that it does not stick ? I jsut barely tap it and its engaging working.

So I was hoping I could adjust, but does it need to be tighter or looser ? no abnormal noise, once its working.

If can adjust it, would it not need to be tighter ? or a closer tolerance to grip it ? So I dont have to pop the hood everytime to get it working ?

I was hoping it could be adjusted, cuz dont have the cash at the moment to replace the clutch, but hope someone has a answer for me.

It is what it is, but just maybe---

thanks

Old 09-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone?

I'm having problems with my A/C too. The black wheel/clutch thing on the drivers side (condenser?) continually stops and starts, every several seconds. I don't have to tap it though. Sometimes I have 3/4 cooling out my dash, mostly zero cooling. If I stop the truck after being driven........when I start it up again, the air is bloody hot. My mech said there are no leaks and there is enough coolant in the system.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, if tapping the clutch causes it to engage, the problem could be the air-gap between the pulley face (driven by the serpentine belt) and the drive plate (attached to the compressor shaft). The proper air-gap for most clutches is 0.020". It is adjusted by removing the drive plate and either adding or removing shims based on the initial gap measurement. When measuring the gap using feeler gauges, it pays to measure at several locations. If the gap is inconsistent, the drive plate may have fatigued and the clutch should be replaced.

Given that air-gap typically does not change during the life-cycle of the clutch, the more likely scenario is that the electro-magnet in the clutch has gotten weak and is unable to pull in the drive plate.

To TonyZR2, your symptoms sound like a low charge level. A simple recharge may be all that you need, however, I would advise a new thread on your problem if you haven't already done so. Your symptoms are different enough from the OPs and it would not be kind to hijack this thread.