2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Check engine light is on after checking a lot of electric connectors in the engine b

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Starting Member
TheSaint is on a distinguished road
Default Check engine light is on after checking a lot of electric connectors in the engine b

Early this winter my 1999 Blazer ZR2 would not start.
The reason i think was that there was no fuel pressure.

The car have been just sitting unused this winter because of this.

About a month ago i charged the battery just to maintain it.
After i had done that i tried to start the car and it started right away

I have used the car on a daily basis since it started until a week ago when i was going to the gas station to fill it up and then there was impossible to start the car. Not that the fuel level had been on the reserve a couple of days when this happened.

When i tried to find the reason why it would not start yet again i started with taking off every electric connector and clean the using electric contact cleaner.
I also took off the 4 connectors that goes to the cars ECU that sits on the right hand side in the engine compartment.

Yesterday i replaced the fuel filterto be sure that the old fuel filter was not clogged. Note that the old fuel filter looked fine i could easy blow thru it but i replaced it with a brand new filter.

Today i tried to start the car with not much hope it would start since the old fuel filter seemed to be okay.

Happy to say that the car started right up at once

The oonly thing now is that the check engine light is on and that started today.

Can the fact that i took off all 4 connectors to the ECU to clean them have anything to do with the check engine warning light?
Note that i had not disconnected the battery when i cleaned a lot if electric connectors in the engine bay of my car and that included the 4 connectors that goes to the ECU-

Any here that have any idea why the "check engine" warning light suddenly came on?
Is it because i took off the 4 connectors to the ECU while the battery was still on?

Also any of my fellow members have any suggestion on how to make the "check engine" warning light turn off?

Old 05-22-2017, 12:05 PM
FMB42 is on a distinguished road

You should always disconnect the battery whenever you're doing any electrical/electronic work on the vehicle.

That said, I'd take it to a auto parts store to see if they can pull the code or codes (for free) Otherwise, you might try disconnecting the batt. for 5 minutes or so (clean the batt terms, if needed, while you're at it). This should clear any stored codes. Then test drive it to see if any code(s) come back. Note: it is very important that you do not drive the vehicle if the 'Service Engine Soon' or 'Check Engine' light is flashing on and off. This indicates a problem that could quickly damage your catalytic converter(s).

Old 05-22-2017, 04:27 PM
Starting Member

Thanks FMB42
I was not aware that disconneicting the battery would clear any error code so this is great news

This is the first time i have seen the engine warning lamp lit on my Blazer while i have owned it

I used the Blazer to visit a friend after i had written about the engine warning light and when i was on my way home i noticed that the check engine light was gone so the car fixed itself

But the engine light came on after i took off all electric connectors for cleaning and that i changed the fuel filter yesterday

Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The best thing you can do is get the DTC codes read. You can buy a basic reader for $20-$40 or many auto parts shops will read them for you for free.

Sure you can just pull the battery post off and hope that pesky light will go away, but the smart thing to do is to find out why the light is on in the first place so you can fix the problem the right way.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:06 AM
Starting Member

When the problem first started that the car would not start and there was no fuel pressure. the check engine light did not come on

It was a couple of days ago that the "check engine" light came on for the first time and i guess that is because i pulled most of the electric connectors in the engine for cleaning

I wonder if i have a fuel pump that all of a sudden gets "weak" and can not build up enough fuel pressure now and then?
I am sure this is because of the fuel pressure since the 2 times the car did not start i checked the fuel pressure and there was no pressure at all

One more thing the 2 times the car would not start is that the fuel level was on the reserve and low fuel light was lit makes me wonder if there can be something "loose" in the fuel tank that block the fuel from entering the te fuel line? Off course i have filled up 2 10 liters cans with fuel but that did not make the car start

Thinking of the fact when i changed the fuel filter some fuel ran out and after that the car started right up

I have never had a problem with the car stopping because of the "no start" issue since that have happened after the car have been standing unused over night

I usually have a full tank of fuel so i will not let the level of fuel drop to the "reserve" anymore

I will check to see if there is some old fault codes stored on the car when i have gotten a OBD 2 code scanner

Last edited by TheSaint; 05-24-2017 at 12:20 AM.