2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cooling improvements and questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 10:32 AM
Starting Member
03jawja is on a distinguished road
Default Cooling improvements and questions?

I have recently added a small trans cooler with I did before the stock cooler, flushed radiator and changed to normal antifreeze. I have seen a pretty decent drop in engine and trans temp when above 40mph. I am using a bafx bluetooth obd2 adapter and torque pro app for android. I do understand that sitting in traffic will make temps high regardless of what I do. But will running external cooler after stock cooler yield enough of a drop to change routing or should I just stick to adding bigger cooler. If it helps I also travel near Chicago in winter multiple times. Not sure if that helps as far as keeping trans at operating temps in cold. Thanks for any tips or advice. Trying to keep this 4l60 alive

Old 07-19-2019, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Best thing is to monitor the transmission fluid temperatures and keep them low. I'm guessing you are using your Android app to monitor the transmission fluid temperature? I use an OBD-II reader by Ultragauge to read the temperature of the transmission fluid.

According to this webpage,Transmission Overheating: Your Worst Enemy - Transmission Repair Guy, keeping the fluid temperature below 220'F and ideally below 195'F will keep the transmission in good shape.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Starting Member

It does get really high sitting in traffic if temp is above 90 , but unless I get a fan for the cooler, I dont see how I can change it? Once I start moving it can drop up to 35 ° after about 30 mins

Old 07-19-2019, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran

Is your fan clutch working? Perhaps it would be good to consider installing electric fans.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:15 AM
Starting Member

I'm pretty sure had then check them when they flushed and changed fluid. I've been debating the e fan swap after I put in ad244. Not sure on exactly what fans I need to put in

Old 07-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Starting Member

I have a deal on efan set up from 2005 impala will that be efficient enough? Only 40 bucks

Old 07-22-2019, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

There are some challenges with putting in e-fans, but for me I find that I really like the results I got from installing e-fans from a Dodge Intrepid in my Sonoma. I find that in cool temperatures the fan rarely kicks on due to temperature, and that in warm temperatures (+30*C) my coolant temperature does not go above 95*C when sitting in traffic and I have nice cold AC, whereas with the stock clutch fan the temperature would climb to 105*C and I'd lose AC cooling when sitting in traffic with ambient temperatures above 30*C. I did install a new radiator and heater core along with a complete cooling flush a year before installing the e-fan, so I feel I have a good baseline for comparison.

I found that with a little trimming, the Intrepid fans fit really well on the S-series radiators covering about 98% of the surface of the radiator.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:41 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
There are some challenges with putting in e-fans, but for me I find that I really like the results I got from installing e-fans from a Dodge Intrepid in my Sonoma. I find that in cool temperatures the fan rarely kicks on due to temperature, and that in warm temperatures (+30*C) [[b]86*F] my coolant temperature does not go above 95*C[[i]93*F] when sitting in traffic and I have nice cold AC, whereas with the stock clutch fan the temperature would climb to 105*C[[b]221*F] and I'd lose AC cooling when sitting in traffic with ambient temperatures above 30*C[[b]86*F] . I did install a new radiator and heater core along with a complete cooling flush a year before installing the e-fan, so I feel I have a good baseline for comparison.

I found that with a little trimming, the Intrepid fans fit really well on the S-series radiators covering about 98% of the surface of the radiator.
What years and which models of the Intrepids have the electric fans that worked?

P.S. I added the temperatures in Fahrenheit for those of use who do not use Celsius every day.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Starting Member

I was just looking at fans for a intrepid/ Chrysler Concorde on amazon. I have spare 40a relays. Tons of wire, Joy's of being an electrician. I have a spare temp sensor.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:51 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
What years and which models of the Intrepids have the electric fans that worked?

P.S. I added the temperatures in Fahrenheit for those of use who do not use Celsius every day.
My fan came from a 2nd gen Intrepid with the 3.5L engine. I believe it was a 2000? The Ford Taurus fans used to be very popular, but they're very high current fans. Pretty sure the Intrepid fans have a 30 amp fuse from factory, and draw around 12 amps on high when running.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 07-22-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Cooling improvements and questions?