2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Custom GMC Sonoma/Jimmy headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Coryx9090x is on a distinguished road
Default Custom GMC Sonoma/Jimmy headlights?

As many know, no company makes aftermarket headlgihts for sonomas or jimmys and that you can make your headlights completely clear by heating your headlights in your oven and removing the amber refector, but would it be possible to remove the reflector, paint it whatever color you would want (black in my case), and then put it back in???? Only problem i see with this theory is that the headlight would cool down when leaving to paint the reflector and then be deformed during the reheating process to close it. Also would it be possible to buy headlights with fog lights, buy the switch for the dash, the fog light bulb, and the fog light wire harness and have fog lights on my vehicle??? any answers or comments will be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Also, I had found this on Ebay and I just figured this is what he had done.

(HL6) 03 SONOMA 98 99 00 01 GMC JIMMY HEADLIGHT LAMP ASSEMBLY PASSENGER SIDE | eBay

Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

On my 99 jimmy, I cleared the headlights and drove that way for about two days and got a ticket because I didn't use amber bulbs! So if the cops in your area are picky and you decide to do it I would just clear them and use amber bulbs.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

wouldnt it be possible to separate the parts using an exact-o blade (or box cutter) and then cleaning up the joint and then resealing it when done.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 PM
schollianmj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
wouldnt it be possible to separate the parts using an exact-o blade (or box cutter) and then cleaning up the joint and then resealing it when done.
The glue used to seal headlights is a butyll rubber based glue. easiest way to separate them is to put them in the oven at 150 for about 5 mins and using slow steady pressure pry and pull them open. I have done this many times when doing HID Projector retrofits for other cars.

eventually i plan on getting another set of lights for my jimmy and vacuum form plexi to make a clear lens so i can put a decent set of projectors into them.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 PM

I used a heat gun just took some time and patience because I was worried about over heating the housing.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by schollianmj
The glue used to seal headlights is a butyll rubber based glue. easiest way to separate them is to put them in the oven at 150 for about 5 mins and using slow steady pressure pry and pull them open. I have done this many times when doing HID Projector retrofits for other cars.

eventually i plan on getting another set of lights for my jimmy and vacuum form plexi to make a clear lens so i can put a decent set of projectors into them.

yeah but when resealing the headlight do you clamp it together some how when reheating them or do you just throw em back in there?

Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 AM

I used some clear weather proofing sealant. You don't want water getting inside of the housings.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM
schollianmj is on a distinguished road

toss the two halves back in teh oven at 150 for 5 mins and use clamps to press them back ttogether. I also have Butyll rope that i use if the factory sealant seems to sparse. never have had an issue with condensation getting in.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:31 PM

Well i figure i may try this next weekend. But does any one know the appropriate type of paint that i would use on the reflecter. Still not sure if i want to make the headlight completely clear or paint the reflector black :/ i guess i'll just go ahead and paint the reflector black when i take it apart and put it back in and just see how itll look.

Quick Reply: Custom GMC Sonoma/Jimmy headlights?