2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Do you have to replace your distributor cap often?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Starting Member
fmalloch is on a distinguished road
Default Do you have to replace your distributor cap often?

sorry if I am doing this wrong I am new here.
I have had to replace my distributor cap and rotor cap twice now, first time lasted for approx 3000 miles then the same symptoms atarted again.

Turning over but not wanting to start
then when it does start random missfires and rough running

changed them again...purs like a kitten
Does anybody have any thoughts on this????

Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Cap and rotor should be good for at least 50k miles. Let's have more info such as what are you driving and what symptoms it's displaying.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Starting Member
fmalloch is on a distinguished road

2001 chevy blazer 2wd v-6
maybe 3 months ago the vehicle would not start turned over fine just never fired, my son suggested checking the distributor cap, it was corroded so we replaced it. Has been running fine, last week it started missing and sputtering while drive up hills etc, this has been getting worse, then it started not wanting to start again just as it had been doing in the past. So to keep it from getting to where it was last time (no start at all) I checked the Dcap no corrosion but it is worn some..so I replaced the Dcap and the rotor cap. It is back to running great, I was just wondering if this is a recurring problem. I gues it may have been the rotor cap all along, not sure.
These blazers seem to have some quirks...

Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Starting Member
kabjunior is on a distinguished road
Default Do you have to replace your distributor cap often?

i have a 2002 blazer 4.3 4wd and at about 135,000 miles i replaced the cap and rotor. i got the cheap autozone brand and they were only lasting about 5000 to 8000 miles. i got the most expensive one from napa and it lasted about 60,000 miles in one year. a mechanic at gm told me there are screens in the distributor itself that can get clogged and hold in moister which would make the cap and rotor go bad more quickly. i checked mine and the screens were clean. the mechanic suggested to use a screwdriver and just poke them out. i blew them out with an air compressor just to be safe and it still hasnt changed anything. but with my experience and this is my 3rd blazer and i had an s10 the more exprensive cap and rotors last longer.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

What's the plugs look like? What's the gap set at? How old are the wires?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

use delco they are best ignition products for these trucks

Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Starting Member
rjcook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default recurring issues with cap and rotor? Code P300

Im also new here, I was just reading the other posts about the distributor cap and rotor.
My 2000, 2Door, 4WD has had rough running issues since I bought it 4yrs ago. The check engine light comes on whenever the weather gets a little overcast and humid. There is a error code multiple random misfire code everytime I put a code testor on it. Recently It wouldnt start. So I replaced alternator, battery, ECM, Coil... Nothing happened. So I put my third cap and rotor on it and it started right up... A friend said that the design of the Blazer 4.3 cap and rotor is flat topped and supposedly they are problematic... Whatever that means. So has anybody else had recurring multiple random codes or had to replace the cap and coil often? What was your solution?

Thanks Rob
2000/2D/4WD/LS

Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rjcook
Im also new here, I was just reading the other posts about the distributor cap and rotor.
My 2000, 2Door, 4WD has had rough running issues since I bought it 4yrs ago. The check engine light comes on whenever the weather gets a little overcast and humid. There is a error code multiple random misfire code everytime I put a code testor on it. Recently It wouldnt start. So I replaced alternator, battery, ECM, Coil... Nothing happened. So I put my third cap and rotor on it and it started right up... A friend said that the design of the Blazer 4.3 cap and rotor is flat topped and supposedly they are problematic... Whatever that means. So has anybody else had recurring multiple random codes or had to replace the cap and coil often? What was your solution?

Thanks Rob
2000/2D/4WD/LS
AC Delco distributor caps should last 100K miles, if camshaft retard is within specs, and silicone dielectric grease is applied to each terminal of the cap, (inside and out). Aftermarket caps are usually a problem and will not last nearly that long.

Unless you reinstalled your original PCM, the crankshaft position sensor relearn must be performed with a capable scan tool.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

In 106K on my 2000 LT 4.3 4x4 I have replace the cap and rotor twice and they weren't acting up. I really don't want to get to that point if I can help it. But I always use Delco never some cheap knock off. I hate changing it anyhow, that cap has cost me a few tools as they fall down the engine comp never to be seen again!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Beginning Member
Charles Hines is on a distinguished road

I spray mine underneath with wiredry.Solved the moisture problem.

Quick Reply: Do you have to replace your distributor cap often?