2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Door Hinge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Beginning Member
Juggolow22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Door Hinge Problem

My door is pretty much screwed. I cant close it from the inside n i have to close n lift.
ive been doing that for months n now its just Done
This is what it looks like. i have 3 questions

How much would this cost?

Would it be possible to do it myself?

Is it worth paying someone 300$ to fix ?

Attached Thumbnails Door Hinge Problem-img00102-20100511-1152.jpg   Door Hinge Problem-door.jpg  
Old 05-12-2010, 01:24 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i'm sure eveyone else is gonna say it too, but why the hell didn't you do the pins & bushings when it first started?

now, on to your question..................

is it too much? IMO, definately!

but then again, i'm pretty handy with fabing/repairing. how about yourself?

do you own a welder? how about a friend?

all the guy is gonna do (or what i would do) is remove the door, hammer the lower hoop back around & weld it shut. and close in the upper hole too.

now.............i'm makin a custom bushing to hold the factory bushing on my driver's upper mount, 'cause the original owner was a lazy woman, and let it slide waaaaay too long (funny how it's always the same one, eh!), and i'd go that route considering your hinge is far worse than mine (mine is only slightly bigger than the OD on the shoulder of the factory bushing).

this is definately a job that i would be talking to the shop about how they plan on going through the repair-step by step-just so you can have a feel of all that is going to be involved. this way you may feel better about what it's going to cost you.

but consider this...............is it worth scrapping the truck, or getting another one, because you didn't want to pay that much?

GL, and let us know how you make out.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Beginning Member

That sucks. I dont really wanna get rid of the truck. its in great condtion.

now i was looking to try this from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...Q5fAccessories

and try to use J.B. Weld to put it on. idk not trying spend to much money. I love my blazer n it was my dads n he passed recently so im just tryin to keep it alive.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

ur problem is that you need new pins and bushes maybe also a new hinge but thing just bush or hinges or both had the same problem with mine.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kickme005
ur problem is that you need new pins and bushes maybe also a new hinge but thing just bush or hinges or both had the same problem with mine.
Did you look at the pictures at all or are you just trying to up your post count?

Old Skool, if it were me, those hinges would be tossed. Making a long term repair on a hinge that bad would, IMO, take more time than cutting off the hinges and fitting on replacements.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member

Ok is there anyone in the North Jersey Area that would fix it for a good price?
If not i think im going to have to sell it. I cant pass inspection

Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member
leeroy74 is on a distinguished road

It's not that hard of a job but I would recommend having a buddy help ya hold the door! I did it buy my self and my scissor jack moved and had to brace the door with my leg till I stabilized the door! Lol... Anyways I got the bushing and pin set from nappa think I paid 12 bucks or so. My door was pretty bad to the point that the panelling pulled off the door frame. There are tons of threads out there... Good luck.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

why does it seem like everyone that is posting on this thread with the exception of kyle and old skool fail to recognize that the hinges themselves are shot! Replacing the bushings and pins wont do squat. He needs to cut the old hinges off and have some new ones welded in there place in order to truly take care of the problem

Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
bkw
Beginning Member
bkw is on a distinguished road

A cheaper, though definitely temporary -- and that's if it even works -- solution would be to remove the door and use some sort of epoxy (JB Weld?) to get a new set of bushings secured in there and then put a new set of pins in. This might not even work depending on the size of the hole and the size of the bushings, but I'd definitely think about trying it. Depends on how long you plan to keep the car, and whether they'll pass you on inspection like that.

But really, time to replace those hinges. For what it's worth, you're looking at near $1k to have that done by a body shop (but obviously this is a HUGE YMMV -- go get (free) estimates!). Or else it's time to learn how to weld!

edit: I don't even know if the epoxy would be up to the forces you'll subject that hinge to. You'd need to secure that bushing really, really well.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
KRUSHER is on a distinguished road

I never understood WHY in the world GM put the door hinges (that are PRONE to doing this) on the vehicle by WELDING THEM ! ? ! ? I had an '86 IROC Z thatI had to replace the right door. luckily only one side of the hinge was welded on, the other side bolted to the body the smart way!

Quick Reply: Door Hinge Problem