2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ebay Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Beginning Member
rednekk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ebay Fuel Pumps

Ebay is loaded with fuel pumps in the $60-$70 range - are they even worth trying? At a quarter of the auto parts store price, it seems too good to be true. Anyone have any experience - good or bad - with them? Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rednekk
Ebay is loaded with fuel pumps in the $60-$70 range - are they even worth trying? At a quarter of the auto parts store price, it seems too good to be true. Anyone have any experience - good or bad - with them? Thanks!

They work great but since they're so cheap you should buy 4-5 of them so you can drop the tank every 6 months to replace it....or you can buy a real one that will last for 120,000 miles or more.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Beginning Member
rednekk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dobyken
They work great but since they're so cheap you should buy 4-5 of them so you can drop the tank every 6 months to replace it....or you can buy a real one that will last for 120,000 miles or more.
I figured as such. However, I doubt my Bravada has another 120k miles in her, and I certainly don't have 120k miles worth of interest in driving it...

Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

ive gone through my share of cheap pumps...they do not last. went through a couple in just 2-3 months. No more. You can get oem for about 200 online for the whole sending unit kit.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:06 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know everybody swears against Airtex pumps on this forum-but I bought one 4 years ago for my 96 at $150-when I rebuilt a 97 I put that same pump in from the 96 (3 years ago) and have never had a lick of problem! I use Marvel Oil and occaisionally an ethanol fix and have encountered no problems!Also with the price of fuel I always fill the tank at half to avoid the shock of the $70 fill-up! My brother's F150 cost $115 to fill just last week!Amazing!

Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

one word NO lol

Delco or Delphi

Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by step66
I know everybody swears against Airtex pumps on this forum-but I bought one 4 years ago for my 96 at $150-when I rebuilt a 97 I put that same pump in from the 96 (3 years ago) and have never had a lick of problem! I use Marvel Oil and occaisionally an ethanol fix and have encountered no problems!Also with the price of fuel I always fill the tank at half to avoid the shock of the $70 fill-up! My brother's F150 cost $115 to fill just last week!Amazing!
Wow, the odds of getting a good Airtex have just been raised to 1/1000. If I was a betting man I'm not that smart but I have better odds of being run over by a Blazer with a Delphi pump.

I bought external electric pump from Skip White on Ebay cheap & I have a buddy that drag races & he buys a bunch of stuff from Skip White on Ebay cheap everything has been as good as any name brand product. I think he buys overstocks. So we try to figure out who built his stuff he is selling. So if Skip White on Ebay is selling it call or email who is building whatever you want to buy. Their customer service is 100% either phone or email. Like I say I have bought from him.
But to answer your question I & every shop that does any work for me uses Delphi in tank pumps. Why? because as one shop owner told me he hates having to warranty in-tank pumps. The failure rate of Delphi right now anyway is very low.
In fact I was told Delphi builds most OEM Pumps. My 90 Honda had a Honda Pump built by Delphi.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Project96 is on a distinguished road

I have an ebay one in my 02 with about 15000 miles on it. Works great so far with no problems. Only thing I had to do was re-wire one of the plugs. But the kit comes with the plug & crimp terminals. I soldered mine for a more permanent & better looking repair. I'm just **** like that though. Just my $0.02...

Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by step66
I know everybody swears against Airtex pumps on this forum-but I bought one 4 years ago for my 96 at $150-when I rebuilt a 97 I put that same pump in from the 96 (3 years ago) and have never had a lick of problem!
Everybody is just an anti-airytex RACIST BIGOT on this forum!!!!!!!
Tell you what.. can you think of any possible reason why you might have got a good one >>>FOUR YEARS AGO<< and why it might not be a good idea now?
Does my opinion count? I was also a skeptic .. while I spent BIG bucks for a DELphi from a local store for the 'Diva.. I tried to make up for it on my tbird, where the 200kmile OE started howling now and then.
So I found an aitex for 110 on amazon.. hell it cant be that bad.. well it IS! Brand new it was much louder than the old at non-howl. NOW my fuel gauge reads in 1/8 tank increments, BY AIRTEX DESIGN~!!!! .. any idea how annoying that is? When you're used to it being dang accurate?

Tell you what.. put your money where your mouth is and tell the guy asking you'll bet the return shipping cost that his Airtex pump will last six months.
I'd bet that on a Delphi.

Only thing I had to do was re-wire one of the plugs. But the kit comes with the plug & crimp terminals. I soldered mine for a more permanent & better looking repair.
If you DIDNT rewire, it probably wouldnt have worked for long..
I'd be willing to bet 1/3 of the FP problems between 100k and 120k are the 2x2 connector. Like mine was. Guess nobody's interested is finding the actual problem.

Last edited by pettyfog; 05-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 AM
dyeguy1212 is on a distinguished road

I went through 3 off brand pumps in about 6 months before I broke down and bought a Delphi. No problems since then.

Do it right, or do it again.

Quick Reply: Ebay Fuel Pumps