2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Electric Blender Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Electric Blender Actuator

*As I'm sure you've already guessed I'm talking about the actuator on top of the HVAC box under the dash that is used with the automatic climate control system. What is the best approach to going about fixing this. Is there a good known replacement in the aftermarket that doesn't cost as much as OE? Can the actuator be rebuilt or fixed somehow? Any neat tricks to removing it w/o tearing apart the dash? Vehicle is a '98 Olds Bravada...

*Before flaming ensues know this: I keep coming to dead ends or closed threads when I search this topic. I have found some very useful info out of what I've read but feel there is much more info out there on this (I just can't seem to find it). If anyone has a link to a good thread on this please oblige.
THANKS!!

Last edited by fondo; 02-12-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

There is a thread with pictures about removing it....search should find it.

Need small hands so if yours are not, then have either a kid or a woman help you out.

Basic steps are to drop the glove box lid,
Remove vacuum actuator,
Remove the two screws holding the electric actuator.

As far as a replacement part - I have read about fit problems.
As far as repairing the actuator - I know I had one that all I did was resolder the two terminals on the small electric motor and all was good. That was six years ago and still going.

These actuators are pretty simple...not really much that could go bad.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

yeah, like stated above, just drove the glove box. with 1/4 inch tools, you will need a ratchet, long extension, and a universal. i cant remember off the top of my head what size it is. i think it is 7mm. there are two screws up in the front and in the back there is just a little post that holds the back of the motor in place. take the two screws out and lift the motor out of place and then unplug and so on.

Attached Thumbnails Electric Blender Actuator-31rtvrr7gtl.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fondo
*As I'm sure you've already guessed I'm talking about the actuator on top of the HVAC box under the dash that is used with the automatic climate control system. What is the best approach to going about fixing this. Is there a good known replacement in the aftermarket that doesn't cost as much as OE? Can the actuator be rebuilt or fixed somehow? Any neat tricks to removing it w/o tearing apart the dash? Vehicle is a '98 Olds Bravada...

*Before flaming ensues know this: I keep coming to dead ends or closed threads when I search this topic. I have found some very useful info out of what I've read but feel there is much more info out there on this (I just can't seem to find it). If anyone has a link to a good thread on this please oblige.
THANKS!!
are you absolutely sure that it is bad? its going to be a murdering on your hands to do this. if you dont have heat and only suspect this as being faulty there are other things to check that dont take any tools.
first, check your heater core hoses and make sure that they are both hot. if they arent then your heater core is more than likely plugged.

just thought that i would throw this out there.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

Originally Posted by Twip
are you absolutely sure that it is bad? its going to be a murdering on your hands to do this. if you dont have heat and only suspect this as being faulty there are other things to check that dont take any tools.
first, check your heater core hoses and make sure that they are both hot. if they arent then your heater core is more than likely plugged.

just thought that i would throw this out there.
Pretty sure its the actuator but I will do checks to confirm before putting myself through the hell... This past summer I did thorough flush of the cooling system (flushed water directly through core as well). Also when the ignition is turned on, ever so often I hear something cycling roughly down there.
Any suggestions on what would be a good aftermarket alternative? THANKS!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Beginning Member
Truk is on a distinguished road

Mine was stuck when I bought it, which was one of the reasons the PO got rid of it. He'd had it to 2 different shops that each kept it for a week trying to figure out why there was no heat.

I took the actuator apart and didn't see anything broken inside it. I ran the motor back and forth a couple times with a 9 volt battery and put it back together thinking all looked good so this wasn't the problem. It's worked fine for 25,000 miles since then.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Starting Member
zamp1288 is on a distinguished road

Changed mine. It is not auto climate control. Uses a slightly different actuator. Less pins on the electrical plug I think. Got one at autozone for $42.00. size is 7/32". 40 some small cuts on my hand but darn it I have plenty of heat now!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

i just did mine , 98 4 door blazer. automatic climate control.

part. 170$
time. 20 minutes.

i have ''normal'' sized hands and i used a 1/4'' rachet with no problem.