2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Emissions and P0141 code help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to get a universal cat, but you would likely have to get it welded in. A factory style cat is going to be $$.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Starting Member
pmezo is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked this guy who owns a garage I go to sometimes. He said he can put on a universal one for $180. Not too sure about the quality or the brand, but as long as I pass emissions to get this thing registered again, I'll be happy. I'll give him a call or just stop in tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help swartlkk. I definitely appreciate it.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Starting Member

So I put in the new cat and now I'm getting P0155 (B2S1). I never got this code before and now all of a sudden this code is coming up now.

Now do I have to put in a new B2S1 o2 sensor now too?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0155 - Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit (bank 2, sensor 1)

Again, an easy diagnostic step would be to swap them side to side, this time with the sensor located on the driver side exhaust pipe (B1S1).

Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Starting Member

Is the B2S1 02 sensor easy to get to or am i going to have to put it on a lift? Obviously, i've never done this one before and it's pretty cold outside.

If there is a small exhaust leak (not sure if there is or isn't) up there by B1S2... would that throw this code? Or it's definitely something with either the sensor itself or the wiring?

Also, is there a reason why I would be suddenly getting this code after replacing the cat? I know this sensor doesn't monitor the cat at all, but i've had this car for 2 years and never got this code. Now, within two days after replacing the cat, i'm getting a B1S2 code. Coincidence?

Last edited by pmezo; 12-08-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Beginning Member
CSCustomCars is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pmezo
Also, is there a reason why I would be suddenly getting this code after replacing the cat? I know this sensor doesn't monitor the cat at all, but i've had this car for 2 years and never got this code. Now, within two days after replacing the cat, i'm getting a B1S2 code. Coincidence?
If that's the case, I'd definitely start at the wiring. It could be a coincidence, but it's more likely the wires going to the o2 may have gotten hit with some welding slag, or spark (if it was welded on). If it wasn't welded on, just clamped, then i'd still look into the wiring first.
In this case I'd definitely follow the diagnosis chart to avoid having to pay for a new sensor, if you don't need it. The chances are more likely to be wiring since you just had work done on the exhaust.

It would probably be easier to get the sensor out if you need to remove it if it was on a lift, but if you can fit under your truck, then you don't need to have a lift.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 12-08-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Starting Member

The new cat wasn't welded. I got a direct fit cat, so it was just bolted directly on.

I haven't looked under the car yet, but isn't b2s1 pretty far away from where the cat bolts on? At least far enough where it shouldn't have been touched when this new cat was installed?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member

Theoretically yes, it shouldn't have been touched, but things happen.

My personal opinion, I'd follow the steps to diagnos the problem using the flow chart. It's saves $60 or whatever for a new sensor.

But, if you want to just go ahead and replace the sensor, then feel free to do whatever you like.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Starting Member

My only issue is getting these o2 sensors off. This car has over 200k miles and i don't know if they've ever been changed and they're such a "female dog" to get off. B1S2 took me almost 3 hours to get off because it was so rusted.

I'll see how long B2S1 takes, but if it takes as long as the first one. I honestly think i'd rather spend the $60 just to not have to spend even more time loosening these things up. Plus it's like 20 degrees outside which doesn't help. I'll have to play this one by year i guess. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Beginning Member

I understand the frustration.
It's really your decision, do whatever you like. It's 20* here too buddy. I'm not far from CT, I'm in Albany, NY. I know how you feel, but sometimes you just gatta get to it.

Good luck with it though. I hope it doesn't take as long this time. Hopefully being up higher on the exhaust pipes will have saved a little rust anyway.

Quick Reply: Emissions and P0141 code help