2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Factory Security sys. causing no start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Factory Security sys. causing no start?

My starter in my 99 Trailblazer will not engage unless I disconnect the positive terminal and reconnect it. All my connections are good and clean at the battery. If I shut it off and remove the key and then try and start it again I get nothing, My auto headlights are on and never dim through this process. Could this have something to do with the factory security system?> Also, I am not hearing a relay, or anything for that matter. IIf I let it sit for a few minutes with the security system engaged it tries to start....sometimes....... after I hit the unlock button on the remoteof course

Old 04-03-2008, 07:15 PM
fun2b1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Factory Security sys. causing no start?

does your key have the"chip" in it?? (lil plastic piece with metal "resistor" in the middle???)

Old 04-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A '99 is the PK3 (no chip). This is definitely an odd problem...

Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 PM

k well maybe its a gm thing but friend has a 2000 grand am that does the no start thign from time to time.. has to leave the key in the on position for 10 -15 minutes then shut it off then turn it on it should crank over.. there was a major issue with their ignitions there is still some resistance that it reads but I guess its thru the key itself....only way gm deals with it is to replace the ignition... ($300+) but I found somewhere that squirting some graphite powder on the key and a lil in the ignition does the trick.. has worked fine on my friends grand am since... worth a shot anyways

OH and run the key in and out around 100 times....(no exaggeration) you'll feel the difference in how smooth it is...

Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This quite possibly could be the beginning of an ignition switch failure. The ignition switch does not cost $300...

RockAuto.com:
ACDELCO Part # D1413D {#26075994}
SWITCH,IGN & START w/o RIGHT HAND DRIVE(RHD) $52.79

There is a how-to in the DIY section (IIRC) on replacement.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: fun2b1

only way gm deals with it is to replace the ignition... ($300+)
I never said how much the switch was.. but hey all the power to ya...lol btw graphite powder is MAYBE $3-$5

Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator

The powder will lubricate the lock cylinder, but I don't know what good it would do on the ignition switch. Worth a try.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM

Well, I just got back from the store and it seemed to work fine if I gave it about 5 minutes or so from the time I shut it off to the time I started it back up but if I shut it off and try to turn it back on I get nothing.....very odd.... I just don't want it to leave me stranded...A tow isn't as cheap as it once was...LOL (besides, a chevy has no place on a tow truck) Thanks for the help so far...still wondering if anyone else has had this problem

Old 04-03-2008, 07:59 PM

it has somethign to do with the contacts inside of the cylinder... I dont know if its a pontiac issue or a gm issue.. but grand ams seem to suffer more.. and hey the graphite worked on a friends grand am havent had any issues in over a year....[/align]read this post[/align][/align]http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic121184.htm[/align][/align]most of the posts after this kid shoudl apply[/align][/align][/align][/align]JustJosh[/align]01-07-2004, 12:44 PM[/align][/align]I was having problems with the passlock as many others have been having as well. I took the ignition cylinder out and took it apart. To remove the ignition cylinder you have to press in on a pin that is on the back of the ignition cylinder with the key in and turn it and pull and it will pull out. To take the cylinder apart you all you have to do is line up the end with the groove on the inside of the cylinder, the part the key is in, with the channel on the outside of the cylinder and depress the part with a paperclip and slide it apart. There are a few small pieces and springs so be careful!! Now you just have to clean the contacts and reassemble it. That little cleaning saved my at least $300. I hope that this helps some with their problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may even try just cleaning it with carb cleaner and turning it without taking it apart and then blowing it out with air. I had not thought about that but looking back I think it shouldwork as well. TO lubricate it use graphite powder and your hopefully up and running[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]does the security light come on??? blink stay on?? have you tried leaving the key on for 10-15 min the shutting it off and turning it back on????[/align]

Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 PM

The security light blinks until I have the key in the on position(I usually let the fuel pump finish before I start)then it shuts off. If I let it sit without the key in it for 10 minutes it'll start right up.

Quick Reply: Factory Security sys. causing no start?