2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Problem with rain coming in windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Beginning Member
RomanCatholic is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with rain coming in windows

Whenever it rains water runs into the front driver and passenger door. Where can I buy the weather stripping and which strips should I replace?

Old 08-28-2009, 08:41 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Before replacing the weatherstripping try applying some silicon grease to the existing rubber WS on the doors and see if that revitalizes it. If not the WS can be purchased from a dealer, certain auto supply stores, and from various online auto parts sites.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Before replacing the weatherstripping try applying some silicon grease to the existing rubber WS on the doors and see if that revitalizes it. If not the WS can be purchased from a dealer, certain auto supply stores, and from various online auto parts sites.

Any idea on the cost of replacing all the stripping around the door?

Old 08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Is the weather stripping worn out and/or missing chucks? Or does it look "okay" but still leaks?

If it looks ok, you might want to take a look at your door hinge pins.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
Is the weather stripping worn out and/or missing chucks? Or does it look "okay" but still leaks?

If it looks ok, you might want to take a look at your door hinge pins.

It looks kinda worn out. I'll try and take pics and post. What could be wrong with the door hinge pins?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
BF Guru

Through use (abuse - letting them swing open without restraint, etc) they can get 'egged-out', take an oval profile and have to be sleeved or replaced.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

First check your door hinges as stated. Try lifting up on the back of the door with it open watching the hinge area for play. If you find play, then the hinge pins and bushings need to be replaced.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM
s2009jon is on a distinguished road
Default my door leaks as well

you might want to check the actual welds that hold the door hinge on, mine is completey cracked on the inner side and thats why mine leaks, im assuming i got a friday blaser from the gm plant,,,haha, it strated with the driver side and a year later the passanger side cracked. hope this helps

Old 08-30-2009, 11:33 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by swartlkk
First check your door hinges as stated. Try lifting up on the back of the door with it open watching the hinge area for play. If you find play, then the hinge pins and bushings need to be replaced.
This is my suggestion. Mine leaked horribly until I replaced the pins and bushings. New weatherstripping from the dealership was super expensive, whereas two sets of pins and bushings from the local parts store and a little bit of my time was less then $10.

Quick Reply: Problem with rain coming in windows