2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Few different problems, hope you all can help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Few different problems, hope you all can help

The first one i am pretty sure I know what it is but I would rather confirm with you guys. A short while back I replaced the entire cooling system (water pump, radiator, hoses and even the overflow tank) Recently I have been hearibng a squelling like a mother f...er.. Figured it was a combination of the cold and the belts so I used some belt spray... This worked at first but now it isnt stopping the noise and on top of that I am hearing small clanking sounds as well. Then the other day I noticed the temp gauge almost maxed out and then would drop to normal if i gave it some gas. This has happened several times since. I am assuming the damn water pump is crapping out but thought I would confirm with you guys before I ripped the damn thing out and tried to have it warrantied.

The next problem is that when I am driving and hit a bump or if I have my system hitting at a decent volume, the damn dome lights come on. i have narrowed this problem down to the rear glass hatch thinking that it is open. If I open and shut it then the problem goes away temporarily. My question is, where is the sensor for the glass hatch that tells the truck when it is open or not, I am assuming that there is a loose connection somewhere in there that needs to be fixed.

Next problem is that the fuse that lights up the gauges and taillight etc. keeps blowing and i cant figure out why. Its not so bad until I drive at night and have no tails and cant tell how fast i am going.

The last thing that has been bothering me is that I noticed I can change gears on the column even when the truck is off and the key is not in. What could cause it to do this?

I know this is alot to absorb but I figured I would throw all my problems our there and hope to get as many of them answered as possible...

Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Beginning Member
CO Chevy Dude is on a distinguished road

1. Check your belt. Sounds like its stretched. I've seen this a bunch from folks who use the cheap belts from AutoZone, Checker, etc.

2. The switch on my 97 is right next to the latch for the rear glass, check there.

3. Is it possible that you have your system hooked up to and overloading this circuit?

4. Stuck solenoid?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Ill check my belt, I bought it from john deere because I received a discount, I used to work for them.

Ill also check for the switch, thanks for the info.

I dont see how the system would affect it I am pretty sure I hooked it up to the radio fuse for the Accessory wire but I will check, maybe I hooked it up to the wrong one....

Stuck solenoid?? I didnt even know there was a solenoid for that, I figured there was some kind of latch system or gearing that let you shift between gears once the key was turned... Ill look into it, thanks for the help

Anyone else please feel free to chime in with your thoughts, the more the merrier.....

Old 03-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Beginning Member

Hope these images show up for you, if not let me know. They're for a 97, hopefully they're close.

LOL, Just found out about AllData rotating their file names/locations

Attached Thumbnails Few different problems, hope you all can help-62536106.gif   Few different problems, hope you all can help-62536300.gif  

Last edited by CO Chevy Dude; 03-01-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the pics. I am assuming that the one is of the inside of the steering column, is the solenoid in there or is that just where the wiring is?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by dimone545
Thanks for the pics. I am assuming that the one is of the inside of the steering column, is the solenoid in there or is that just where the wiring is?
I just had to look back at the OP to notice that you said column, those pics are for floor shift models. Let me see if I can dig anything else up.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM

well the belt seems plenty tight enough so all I can think is that it must be the water pump...