2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Found my problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

bump for this guy, i hate it when people find their problems but dont follow up on the forum.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:07 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

wheres the image?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:09 PM
RIFLEMAN 308 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Ok sorry fellas, between kids and flus and colds here lately I dropped the ball on this thing, so here is some pics and some good close ups.

PIC 1: This picture is showing the bolt location that grounds splice pack 423 which is located on the farthest rear crossmember and on the farthest left side on top of the crossmember, BUT you will actually see the bottom of the bolt on your truck at this location because I let the fuel tank down a bit and with a stubby wrench and a long screwdriver as a pry bar to work the wrench in a small spot and a LOT of PATIENCE, and a LOT of CURSING I was able to remove it and all the ground wires that were being held down by this bolt. I relocated just the fuel filler neck ground wire using just this bolt and as you can see I installed the bolt coming up from the bottom the way that IT SHOULD BE!!!!!!!

PIC 2: This is just a close up of picture no. 1 and what I did.

PIC 3: This is where I relocated the remaining wires that were held down by the bolt in picture no. 1, these are the grounds for egr, fuel tank sending unit, and IAT sensor. As you can see I relocated them on the back of the rear crossmember to a more accessible place using a bolt from the fuel tank skid plate. NICE HUH??!!!

PIC 4: This is just a close up of picture no. 3

Good luck and again sorry guys for not sending the pics earlier!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Found my problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-pic-1.jpg   Found my problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-pic-2.jpg   Found my problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-pic-3.jpg   Found my problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-pic-4.jpg  

Last edited by RIFLEMAN 308; 11-16-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: comments
Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

wait wheres the picture of the actual splice pack 423? we dont even know what it looks like. got a picture of the splice pack?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:54 PM

It's called a splice pack and it is designated as splice pack sp423, BUT it is actually just 3 ground wires held down by the 1 bolt that is showing in picture number 1, but you will be actually looking at the head of the bolt because after I was able to remove it, I just threaded it right back in the same hole it came from but just installed it from the bottom, that is why you see the head of the bolt, because the hole is actually threaded in the crossmember. So to answer your question, no,it is not a classic looking splice pack, it's just a group of ground wires on a hold down bolt. Believe me it's there just study the pictures, they are all taken at the rear drivers side, farthest rear crossmember, where the left end of the rear crossmember bolts to the drivers side frame rail.

Also the pictures are numbered starting left to right 1,2,3,4.

It looks like the pictures are actually shown when you log in, because they are labeled PIC 1, PIC 2, etc., when you are not logged in, hope this makes it a little easier.....

Last edited by RIFLEMAN 308; 11-17-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 PM

So did this make things any easier? What happened? Any luck with it?

Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point

rifleman your a gentleman and a scholar lol. took me a while to find this ground, but when i finally got it off it was a friggin mess. i dont know how it was even grounding through the rust. major improvement, feels like a new animal. thanks for puttin in the hard work to figure this out for everyone

Old 11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Smile

COOL!!! glad to see it helped you!!! I've spent many nights searching all kinds of forums and nobody thats had this problem seemed to be able to track it down, I spend everyday working on heavy equipment and some of the most electrical nightmares that you can even imagine, and I knew by the way my truck was acting it was a ground problem as I became more familiar with the way chevrolet designed the electrical system, so I never gave up, and I am like most mechanics I know, they don't have the time to work on their own vehicles because their always working on other peoples, so this is why it took so long for me to get around to narrowing it down.

Its really rewarding to hear that this has helped someone find this seemingly impossible problem that myself and many others have thrown many parts and hours of labor without any resolutions. Hopefully others can find this thread as soon as possible that have this same problem and be able to fix it right away!!

Oh yea and btw wasn't that bolt a B**** ?!

thanks!!!!!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Starting Member
Cyno is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RIFLEMAN 308
COOL!!! glad to see it helped you!!! I've spent many nights searching all kinds of forums and nobody thats had this problem seemed to be able to track it down, I spend everyday working on heavy equipment and some of the most electrical nightmares that you can even imagine, and I knew by the way my truck was acting it was a ground problem as I became more familiar with the way chevrolet designed the electrical system, so I never gave up, and I am like most mechanics I know, they don't have the time to work on their own vehicles because their always working on other peoples, so this is why it took so long for me to get around to narrowing it down.

Its really rewarding to hear that this has helped someone find this seemingly impossible problem that myself and many others have thrown many parts and hours of labor without any resolutions. Hopefully others can find this thread as soon as possible that have this same problem and be able to fix it right away!!

Oh yea and btw wasn't that bolt a B**** ?!

thanks!!!!!
I'm glad to say I just found this post, and had been experiencing a couple of the same symptoms, I'll try this cheap fix before I dump any real money on replacing stuff. I'll probably leave the old bolt and just cut the wire and put a new end on it, if it's that much of a problem.

My vehicle is just an extra set of wheels so it's probably not going to get done today, but thanks for taking the time to put this great infomation out there, we know it takes a little effort, so thanks.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Smile

I hope it works for you, but I must say that you MUST MAKE SURE that you install the filler neck ground that is with the other wires on the same bolt, back onto the crossmember, just make sure its grounded, but you may already know that, but just in case you forget.....

DON'T!!!!!

Quick Reply: Found my problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!